Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger Door Lock stuck/humming

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Exclamation Passenger Door Lock stuck/humming

In the middle of driving my passenger door lock started buzzing. It's stuck trying to lock I think. It never has locked/unlocked via the power locking method like it's supposed to. I always use it manually, but anytime you try to lock/unlock you can tell the motor works because you can hear it. It just never succeeds. Something needs to be cleaned off and sprayed with a sheen of silicone I'm sure. I'm pretty sure they don't come with speakers so I know it isn't natural, and I highly doubt it's absorbing energy from the sunrays and using that to charge up my battery in some sort of annoyingly loud way (hence I disconnect the battery after driving).

I have numerous electrical problems with dash-stuff. Some guages work, some don't. Then all work, then all shut off. Just yesterday the door locks started hardly working. When I'm driving and hitting bumps/pot holes the guages come on if they're off and vice versa. I know someone out there has dealt with this and can get me the answer so I can go out there and get straight to it. I'm 1200 miles from home in Florida with a limited selection of tools. I don't have the time or capability to be F'ing around with this thing. I drive back to NC tomorrow, and I'm in Va right now. Then someone else is supposed to drive this thing for me back down to Florida while I'm in Afghaniland.

I'm currently in Va doing a lot of driving around/getting ready to go overseas and don't have time to go searching around for threads. I need to fix this basty ASAP because every time I drive somewhere and leave it I have to disconnect the battery so it doesn't drain. Anyone know the fuse to disable doorlocks? I thought I saw a fuse diagram in the Haynes manual once when I didn't need id, but maybe that was my imagination because now it's now I don't see it in there anywhere.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Sounds like a ground issue. Thats what Id put my money on. I dont have my manual on me, so I cant help you with the fuses.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

One easy thing you can do with a limited selection of tools is to refresh all the grounds in the engine bay. In particular, there is a braided strap bolted on one end to the right rear of your engine and the other end is bolted to the firewall. Unbolt both ends, clean until shiny ( both ends of the strap and the point on the firewall as well as the bolt at the back of the engine)
Once you've done that you should clean up both the battery cables and terminals and then check all of your fuses. The best way to check the fuses is to replace them one at a time with new ones, sometimes a fuse that looks good isn't.
If none of the above fixes your problem then its possible you have broken wires that run inside the rubber tube between the door and frame. You can peel the tube out of both ends and check for broken or frayed wires. If you do find bad wires the best way to fix them is to solder them together and then shrink wrap them.
I hope this helps and I hope you have a safe trip there and back.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

I just checked my Haynes and there isn't a fuse diagram that shows which fuse is for the door locks but there is a circuit diagram that shows that the door locks don't have a fuse, there is a circuit breaker in the fuse panel for the locks. There are actually 2 circuit breakers plugged into the fuse panel and I don't know which one is for the locks but I do know that one is for the power windows and the other is for locks. The circuit breakers are easy to spot, they look like big silver fuses and unplug just like fuses
Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by Rudy
I just checked my Haynes and there isn't a fuse diagram that shows which fuse is for the door locks but there is a circuit diagram that shows that the door locks don't have a fuse, there is a circuit breaker in the fuse panel for the locks. There are actually 2 circuit breakers plugged into the fuse panel and I don't know which one is for the locks but I do know that one is for the power windows and the other is for locks. The circuit breakers are easy to spot, they look like big silver fuses and unplug just like fuses
I forgot to mention I have a '98. We probably have differences. Mine is fused. It was fuse number 15 for me, and 22 killed the rear window wiper from just randomly turning off.

I DO need to clean off that braided strap. I also have it attached to the intake manifold vice the head...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To make sure which it which....activate your power door locks. While holding your finger on each breaker. The one that buzzes while you do this belongs to what your activating.