Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Park-Lock causing Ignition and Key Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Default Park-Lock causing Ignition and Key Problems!

Hi everyone! Glad to rejoin the group! Recently I have been losing power while driving. Figured out that I had to keep the key manually held as close to the starting position as possible to keep the power going and the guages from shutting down. Further, I could not turn the key to the lock position to pull it out. I had just resealed my windshield and noticed that when I went to remove the ignition switch and cylinder there was a bit of rust on the tilt steering wheel mechanism. Pulled the cylinder & iginition and noticed that the park lock slider was loose but limited in back and forth motion (see pic)

Name:  ForumRunner_20140927_212621.png
Views: 2441
Size:  225.3 KB

This pick isn't a 95 XJ but the slider is the same. I removed the center console to check the park lock cable but it looked ok and made sure it was set correctly.

Going back to the cylinder and ignition, all was working well when I pulled them out, key turned and came out easily. I went to re-install it but it would not go in at the normal 3 o'clock position because the slider would not move forward enough for the cylindar pin to fit into it without the key being in the foward accessory position. My thoughts are that the park lock slider came unhooked inside the steering column? I hear that sometimes it gets detached - but how do you get to see if it is or not? I do feel/see the slider move very slightly when I push in the button on the gear shift.

Presently, I can turn the key to start, but it won't - I hear something being energized, but it's like the engine thinks the car is in gear and won't let it start.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

- Mudd
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Name:  ForumRunner_20140928_082904.png
Views: 1159
Size:  225.3 KB
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM

Ok, got the brake shift interlock adjusted, that's what caused the key cylinder to refuse to go to the lock position. This pic is from the shifter of a Camero but the cable is exactly the same ( http://shbox.com/trans/park_lock3.jpg). Once adjusted I had full range of the key and it came out.

HOWEVER, STILL WON'T START. I still hear things energizing ( fuel pump?), but no turnover.

If anyone wants to learn how to adjust the brake lock cable I will be glad to shoot you instructions. This is a rare occurrence however it is an easy fix once you remove everything to get to the shifter.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Have I stumped you guys? I am! Anyone have a thought on this one?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 AM

So, figuring things out here. I pulled and cleaned the NSS - what a gunky MESS in there. Will reinstall tonight.