Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Paint Plastics

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Paint Plastics

Hello. I was curious on the plastic trim on my jeep. I always loved the look of the painted kinda glossy look of the plastic trim on the cherokee classics as opposed to the black plastic. So my question is what would be easier? My jeep is currently black and in dire need of repainting. I want it silver as i always loved that color and may add metal flake in it. I also want all my plastics silver as well like on the classic trim package. Should i replace the plastic pieces or sand them down and repaint them? I know the trim on the door is very hard to do so i might keep that on and paint over it. Also if i have to paint what would i have to do to prep? I have no clue on how to paint is it easy to do or should i pay someone to also paint them while the rest is being painted?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine, I pulled them off and painted them separately. I'm sure if you brought it somewhere to have the Jeep painted a different color that's what they would probably do.
Get them started with a plastic pry tool and carefully pull them off, try not to bend or twist them. Scrape the double sided trim tape off, scuff them with some 400+grit paper, 3 or so layers of primer, 4-5 layers of paint and a few layers of clear coat. Buff and stick them back on with new double sided tape.
If you get the orange peel effect, wet sand and paint some more! I'm not a professional auto painter btw. If you're taking it somewhere to be painted, I would just leave them on and let the pros figure it out.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

i scrubbed with lacquer thinner, shot with rattle can, black on black. looks good.looking 4 pix!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

found.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Plastics-100_5209.jpg   Paint Plastics-100_5210.jpg  
Old 06-17-2017, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

not bad for a spray can! looks brand new with no fading plastic that bugs me about mine florida is so harsh on cars here.

It may sound weird but i love how jeeps look with all the bumper pieces and plastics i dont want to take them off lol despite everyone telling to remove them along with the flares and cut my fenders off to where i reply with no. I wanted to paint mine similar to this as i seen a black jeep with a gloss type bumper pieces that color matched. It looked very sleek. I am not gonna go all out with my jeep its still my daily driver so needs to stay road friendly as well lol. But i was gonna do silver but make the bumper ends shiny silver like this black jeep in this picture. i also might put the ecco rims back on it as well.
this type of color and style

But silver like this yet glossy or metallic with metal flake
Old 06-17-2017, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

....... Ok seriously what happened here why are they randomly placed ugh. Anyways yeah.... the style bumpers as that black jeep but in silver like that jeep only shiny.