Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

p0304 and rough start and idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default p0304 and rough start and idle

i blew my head and bought a new head for my 01. new head gasket, new head bolts, new thermostat and gasket, new exhaust gasket l, new push rods cuz i snapped one in half, threw p0306 and 304 so bought new plugs cuz they were all burnt, still threw those codes so checked coil rail and had weak spark on 4 and no spark on 6 so bought a new coil rail cleared codes and now only throwing p0304 and i have my injectors wrapped, new oil, new coolant and i had it running fine for 5 minutes then went to put it in drive and it stalled then wouldnt start again.im at a lost my car buddies are lost too. Any help is welcome.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Id put money on it being an electrical issue. If you run a search for misfire on this forum you'll find a million posts with very few solved cases because it's always electrical and electrical is a PITA. I traced one down for months and it ended up being my coil rail but it could be anything. My guess is during the blown head, you overheated and melted some wires or sensors. Do a visual inspection and if everything looks good. You'll have to do some electrical testing on a bunch of different sensors. youtube is going to be your best bet for learning how to electrical teat. Get a factory service manual, it will help you figure out how to to interpret your readings. Not sure what year your Jeep is but start at the spark plugs and work backwards from there.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mattheww97
Id put money on it being an electrical issue. If you run a search for misfire on this forum you'll find a million posts with very few solved cases because it's always electrical and electrical is a PITA. I traced one down for months and it ended up being my coil rail but it could be anything. My guess is during the blown head, you overheated and melted some wires or sensors. Do a visual inspection and if everything looks good. You'll have to do some electrical testing on a bunch of different sensors. youtube is going to be your best bet for learning how to electrical teat. Get a factory service manual, it will help you figure out how to to interpret your readings. Not sure what year your Jeep is but start at the spark plugs and work backwards from there.
yea its a 2001, grandpa gave it to me 2 years ago with the original service manual i was going to check compression, then take a multimeter to everything thats apart of starting and running the the engine