Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

P/S pump replacement - slogging right along...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Default P/S pump replacement - slogging right along...

Well, got the pump replaced, new belt on, cranked the engine up and yes... immediately I could tell the replacement was MUCH quieter than that old pump (I did find a reconditioned label on it once I took the noisy one off)... BUT a few seconds later, me and the Jeep started taking a bath in power steering fluid. Great.......

Off goes the engine.... I was thinking maybe I didn't screw IN the high pressure line? Well as worse goes to worse, as I went and tightened the high pressure line fitting I could tell immediately either the fitting or the line itself was stripping / cross threading - thus the leak.

Okay... here's the question.... the OLD pump was only making a growling noise.... NOTHING was wrong with the line fitting on the pump. Trying to keep this as inexpensive as I can; could I just take out that fitting from the replacement pump and replace it with the non-stripped fitting from the old pump (looks like it's removable with a socket of some size...) I'm going to return the noisy pump for a core rebuild anyway...? That way I could just order a replacement high pressure hose if I can find one?... ... that would save buying another pump for $80.00 if I could do that. What say you?....

Thanks,
Mark
(what a way to spend a "vacation".......)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Are the threads in the pump cross threaded? If so, you might be able to cut the threads but it sounds like it's completely stripped

If you got the pump locally, I would just take it back to be honest
Old 03-02-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output
Default ***FIXED IT*** slog update

Okay - here's how I fixed the leak (playing E.L.P Live in the background now - "Lucky Man"...).
1) Got PLENTY of Bright Light for the problem
2) Even put my glasses on!!
3) Prayed a lot
4) Removed the high pressure hose end from pump
5) Glasses indicated some thread slivers hiding in the threads of hose end
6) Inspection of pump fitting where hose screws in - slivers in threads
7) Found a very tiny flat blade screwdriver about the size of my pinkie
8) Noticed the stripped fitting is made out of aluminum (!!)... with the small flat blade screwstick, I was able to fish out the slivers of aluminum from the fitting AND the pump; was ALSO able to use the STEEL screwstick to fold back the aluminum threads that were damaged.
9) Screwed fitting back in (with glasses on this time) and everything worked... I guess once I got past the first few damaged threads, the fitting was able to grab onto the remaining threads and now she's tight, quiet and doesn't leak (no, you silly goose; not my girlfriend.... the pump !!)

Thanks for helping me through all this,
Mark