Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Owned my 96 Classic 3 weeks, new starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Owned my 96 Classic 3 weeks, new starting problem

Help! LOL Okay, I LOVE my Jeep, want to say that 1st! Now, I am calling on the experts here. My poor Cherokee has developed an unusual problem, at least I think so. I manage a chassis dyno shop, so I have been involved with performance cars for years. This however is strange to me.

Start up for work, ten miles to town for coffee, this is where it happens mostly. Turn it off, inside for maybe 5 minutes. When I try to start to leave, crank and crank no start, I tap the accelerator a little bit, she fires right up. Then of course it runs rough, a little flooded and it straightens right out. This morning makes about 6 or 7 times in a week it has done this. Always starts fine when its cold. This Jeep is super nice, but high miles 170k. All maintenance was kept current, no rust, I mean an awesome Jeep, except this quirk!

No Starter issues, battery is strong, alternator is good. I have purchased plugs, wires, and will be doing an injection service (clean) and plug change this week. One of the techs here said something about 4.0's having an issue with their fuel injectors getting too hot and hence the not wanting to start. And wherever he worked last, they would actually put some type of wrap (maybe hear wrap) around the injectors? Heard of this? I haven't.

I have owned and raced Fords for years, I know they have goofy issues. Seen most of them in my time. But I am completely new to the Jeep scene. And if there are quirks, I have no clue what they are, thats why I have come to you guys and gals! Have pity please?? LOL

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cindy
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

If you have a fuel pressure gauge you should hook it up and see what the pressure is doing when you shut it off.......I had a hard start problem that turned out to be an injector leaking fuel into the engine.

The pressure shouldnt fall by more then a few pounds.....if it does pinch off the fuel line and if it still dropps it has to be an injector.

When I saw that the pressure was dropping I pulled my fuel rail with all of the injectors on it and turned the key to the run position so that the fuel pump would pressuize the rail and injectors......I could see one of my injectors was leaking fuel. You can replace the bad one but I figgured that if one failed the other could be close behind so I swapped in neon injectors.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 AM

Great input, I will certainly check it out. I was kind of wishing it wouldn't be injectors.... Oh well, haha.
Thanks,
Cindy