Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheating Problem-2.8 chevy v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.8
Default Overheating Problem-2.8 chevy v6

Hey all, i have had my 85 xj for about a year and have had some issues o say the least. heres the basic info, i was driving from orlando to pensacola and it overheated and wouldnt crank back up again. when i was trying to start it up oin the side of the highway, it was producing a little bit of black smoke from the middle of the engine. im not sure what could be wrong with it this this but in the past, i have replaced the alternator and starter, battery, had the carb rebuilt, distributor cap and the master clutch cylinder. i know the block isnt cracked and the head gasket isnt blown, but im running out of ideas on what the problem could be. any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated becasue im 21 year old college student and limited on funds to say the least. my jeep is current at a towing company lot until i pay to get it back and im really trying to decide if it would be worth it to get it back and fixed orjust have it scrapped...which i really dont want to do, i love my jeep. anyway, sorry for the long post but please shoot any feedback possible to me and keep on jeepin!