Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overheated now hard start an has bad idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Overheated now hard start an has bad idle

2006 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 3.7L 2wd, starting getting warm on me driving one day so i stopped an put coolant in, continued down the road an it kept getting hotter to the max point, i was towing my small boat so had to find a point to stop an did, turned it off let it cool down an checked the coolant, had a small leak at the radiator but when taking the cap off coolant bubbled out, that settled an i tried to start an it wouldn't fire, finally got it to fire an it only stays on if i keep it revved up an runs really rough an exhaust smell extremely rich, think it has a stuck thermostat but would could be causing the hard start an bad idle? It doesn't seem to be running on all cylinders but if i rev it to like 4-4500k it evens out an sounds good but as soon as I let off it dies
Old 07-02-2017, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Wrong forum. The newer Cherokees are over here.

But I'd do a compression test. Sounds like you toasted your engine. A compression check will tell you a lot, and I suspect it will sing a song of $$$$$$$.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Salty Fisher
2006 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 3.7L 2wd
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Wrong forum. The newer Cherokees are over here.
Note the year. He doesn't have a KL unless he somehow transported one back in time. Either he has a WK Grand Cherokee, or he has a KJ and lives outside North America where it was called a Cherokee. Both of those had the 3.7L V6 as an available engine.

Salty, you probably have a check engine light, yes? If so, get the codes read, or better yet get a Bluetooth OBDII adapter and the Torque app for Android and read them yourself. More than likely you did some damage to the heads or block or both, and you have lost compression in one or more cylinders. As Mark said, a compression test will tell you. This is not likely to be a minor fix.