Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ongoing intermittent no crank/no start Help!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ongoing intermittent no crank/no start Help!

Help please, I am looking for any input and I am ready to do whatever it takes to fix this.

This has been going on for over a month. It is so intermittent it is hard to troubleshoot but over time I have been able to rule some things out.

Problem is no start, usually after driving a very short distance and shutting engine off. When it occurs, it won't crank, voltage at battery does not drop at all when key is in crank position and starter relay does not click.

Things I have ruled out:
1. Ignition switch, power is getting to the relay socket while key is in crank position. I also have remote start that bypasses ignition and still won't crank.
2. NSS; tested ground at relay pin that goes to NSS and there is ground in park and neutral
3. Starter - works when the relay works

It has to be the relay or the fuse box. I thought I had it nailed down to the starter relay so I carried a relay around with me until it happened again and popped in the new relay and started right up. It actually has been working fine all week and today drove to Subway to get a sandwich and bam, after a week of working it would not start again. I pulled the relay in and out several times and just kept trying and after about 10 minutes it started.

I am so frustrated. I have electrical experience and I am stumped. I think I have almost answered my own question. It seems like it must be a bad socket in the relay panel. It looks like the power distribution center is modular and the relay socket might be able to be replaced. It seems to happen when the voltage drops as well so I still think there might be a connection somewhere but Im not sure. The strange thing though is that it will eventually start after waiting for a while. I have checked all the usual things, like battery terminals, etc. I am about ready to just wire in my own relay and rewire the battery, starter and starter relay with all my own wire.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you ever scanned for codes and its dist or coil packs ?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, I have scanned for codes. There are 2 codes in the history for things that I already fixed, the NSS and the AC fan that I wired a switch to turn on. Next thing I am going to try is wire another complete relay socket and bypass the factory relay socket.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Might check right at the starter solenoid to see if it's getting power next time it won't start.
Not unheard of for the solenoids to go intermittent.

ETA: I re-read and see that the relay is not operating when it won't start... is it possible the NSS is intermittent, not grounding the relay? Perhaps try jumpering the park/neutral terminals on it for a while to test?
When mine started to go it failed intermittently- particularly right after a short trip it wouldn't allow a re-start. Found the grease in there was so thick the spring loaded contacts were basically stuck.

Last edited by Radi; 10-19-2012 at 07:12 PM.