Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

One more exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default One more exhaust manifold question

So thought it was the manifold gasket but no...should have just replaced the manifold anyways but too late now. Plus I'm now a pro at taking it all apart. Does the manifold tend to fail at the cylinder back by the firewall often? That is where I see exhaust coming from especially when i lay on the gas. Most of the posts tend to say it cracks where the 2 pipes collect by the exhaust pipe, but I also see a lot of manifolds with the flex pipes on the 1st and last cylinders. Just want to check so I don't do triple work.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Yes some of the manifolds are notorious for cracking at the collector.. You should find a hair line crack or bigger around that area.. Its in the exact place you describe. next to the firewall

If you want run some seafoam through ur system and see where the smoke comes out from..
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM

I did again last night to make sure that's where it was still leaking from. All I can see is a big puff of exhaust from around that area when I hit the gas. Intakes are clean now since I already pulled them off, so I cleaned the ***** out of them, so not much smoke coming out with the seafoam. But good to know I guess that it is common. looks like its where the flange or whatever it's called is welded to the pipe, the piece that is against the head.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Originally Posted by paulisawesomer
I did again last night to make sure that's where it was still leaking from. All I can see is a big puff of exhaust from around that area when I hit the gas. Intakes are clean now since I already pulled them off, so I cleaned the ***** out of them, so not much smoke coming out with the seafoam. But good to know I guess that it is common. looks like its where the flange or whatever it's called is welded to the pipe, the piece that is against the head.
I havent heard of them cranking there, but with jeeps anything is possible.. Atleast you know the problem and how to fix it.. Whta headers are you looking at? Stock or after market?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
I havent heard of them cranking there, but with jeeps anything is possible.. Atleast you know the problem and how to fix it.. Whta headers are you looking at? Stock or after market?
Looks like aftermarket, they are the same ones i see online, but they have the flex pipes, not headers though. They have them locally with gasket and studs, etc. I'm under a time crunch, so I need to get it fixed and ordering and shipping i can't take a chance with. Plus, I need my jeep mainly for chicago snowstorms and vacation and stuff, I don't plan on mudding with it too much.

Made by Dorman I guess, has the flex pipes. Circled where it looks like the leak is at. hopefully you can see the pic.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/D99000%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That manifold came down in price and it includes the hardware too.I'll PM yah

Tony