Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ok need help for lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ok need help for lift

ok so i screwed up today was gonna lift and couldnt not right tools
i have a 2000 jeep cherokee i need to know what tools imma need special tools i have sockets this might be dum but i need help
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Only things you really need to make the job simple is a compressor and some power tools. Maybe have a breaker bar and some PB blaster to loosten tight bolts and maybe a hammer. And other than that just some jacks and jack stands. What part of instalation are you running into a problem?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i gave up for today i got that 3 inch rough country add a leaf i dont really like the add a leaf but i have it imma use it.power tools as in? this is my first lift so yea im new to all this
Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Just some sockets and an airgun with enough juice. I got add-a-leafs on mine too and i am very pleased with them. Basicaly for the rear, put some stands under your XJ, remove the wheels. Puts some jacks under each side of the rear axle to keep the rearend from slipping out or cocking side ways. Its been a while since i installed mine but hear are the steps as i remember.

1.Remove the nuts off the top of the U bolts holding the stock leafs to the axle and slide them out.

2. Remove the bolt in the rear of the leaf connecting it to the stock shackle

3. Then remove the bolt in the front. U should now be able to carfully pull the leafs out in one peice.

4. now remove (if it is still on there) the stock clip holding them together.

5. Now place the add-a-leaf in with the stock leaf (in the order that your kit calls for.

6. Then do these steps in reverse to put them back in (you may need to use a jack to tweek the new spring setup back into place)

7. Put the new clamps (should have came with your kit) around the leafs with a hammer to keep them from sliding out

8 Throw your wheels back on and your finished with the rear!

Its been a while so if im leaving any steps out please anybody interject, but from what i remember these are basically the steps.

The fronts are a bit more complicated, so i would search for a thread w/ some pics!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

If its an ADL then you dont have to remove the shackle bolts,just the u-bolts for the axle.For the front ,disconnect the shocks and sway bar then let axle down as far as it will go .Jack up one side as far as you can and remove the coil(no compressor needed for 3in coils)Slide in new spring and do the same for other side.Replace the u-bolts cause they are not reusable.