Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oiling issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Oiling issues

I'm having trouble with getting oil to the top of the motor. Everything is clean and fresh oil and filter. Oil pressure is normal. Could the pump build pressure and not get the volume needed to reach all parts of the motor.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

how do you know you are not getting oil to the top? are you running it with no valve cover? you could have clogged lifters and or push rods causing no oil to get to the top. I would not really run the motor until you get this problem solved in case you have no oil reaching the cam too. Did you have any recent work done to the motor like new cam bearings or mains or rod bearings?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 AM

I originally heard a new noise other that what I believed to be a slight lifter tap that the jeep had since I bought it. Turns out the #5 rockers had gotten so dry they were chirping. Had the valve cover off and little to no oil. Slight oil at the front half of the motor and none on the back half. Had to pull the head because I found it was cracked so everything was cleaned. The lifters don't get enough pressure to fully prime up and has the motor running rough now.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 AM

it sounds like the oil passages inside the block clogged from having coolant in the oil for too long. You will need to pull the motor and do a complete tare down and get the block hot dipped and cleaned. you will have to send it some where to have new cam bearings installed. That may be where the problem is located since you are not getting oil to the top of the motor. At this point it will probably be easier and cheaper to find a long block from a running jeep and start from there.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 AM

There was never noticeable water in the oil. There was no sludge in the oil,oil pan or in the heads. Water was mostly entering the tops of the cylinders
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 AM

Everything looks like it is coated with oil looking at the cam lobes through the lifter ports
Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 PM

if it looks like there is oil there that is good. It may not hurt to pull the cam position sensor out of the distributor mount and try and rotate the oil pump shaft with a drill and a long screw driver bit. this way you can see where you are getting and not getting oil and determine if it could be a pump issue or an oil passage issue. It could very well be a bad pump and nothing more then that. but don't run it until you find out.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Was going to try to rotate the pump shaft maually but I guess the bit jumped loose and got between the wall and the shaft it and it wrung off so going to replace the pump regardless unfortunatly. Need to try a manual gauge also when I prime the new pump.