Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil pressure gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Oil pressure gauge not working

Ok I'm reposting this as I didn't get not even one responce and I'm hoping someone has had the same issue and can help.... Good morning all. I'm hoping someone with some electrical experience can help. I have a 91 Cherokee Sport. My oil pressure gauge pegged out all the way to the right about 4 days ago and has not moved. Doesn't matter if the jeep is running or not. At first I was thinking sending unit but it has me baffled. As of yet 8 have not replaced the sending unit as I would like to know for sure that's what it needs. I have unplugged the sending unit and the gauge is still pegged to the right. If it was the sending unit, wouldn't unplugging it cause the gauge to move back left? I'm kinda thinking it may be grounded out somehow. Anyone with the same experience? So I don't know if its gauge, sending unit or grounded out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Pull out the dash cluster and see if the gauge drops back to zero.

If it does not, I'd be confident it was the gauge itself.

-T.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Thernlund
Pull out the dash cluster and see if the gauge drops back to zero.

If it does not, I'd be confident it was the gauge itself.

-T.
x2 - Good idea. However, when I turn my 95 off, the gauges don't return to 0 (on my 00' TJ they did), so this test may not be definitive.

There have been several folks with this exact same problem recently, so it might be helpful to search the threads. I don't recall any "smoking gun" cause, but maybe you can ask the TS if they ever figured it out. Many times people go radio silent when they solve the problem without reporting back.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Thank you for the response. I still have tinker with this and figure it out. I may have a ghost in the machine....lol. My speedometer seems to have a mind of its own at times also. Some days it works and some it doesn't. It might work great for a week and then not work for a day. Sometimes I can start driving and it won't be working and after 15 minutes it'll work. No rhyme or reason to it....
Old 04-24-2018, 04:19 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well that's new information isn't it. You should have led with that. I'm thinking dash cluster now.

-T.