Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Oil Pan Gasket

So earlier this year I had major service done on Uncle Jess which included a new oil pan gasket. I told them not to use RTV on the Felpro Permadry's because it can cause a leak or even worse the gasket to slip out of place. They didn't listen. About 2 months ago it started to leak, and a few weeks later it slipped far enough out of place that it was rubbing against the harmonic balancer.

I am about to go in and redo the job myself and I wanted to get some advice from people who have done it on their own.

1) Im doing it with a jack and jack stands. The Jeep has about a 3 inch lift. How challenging is it to get it out? What needs to be removed? It looks like trans cooler line, inspection plate, and possibly starter? Haynes manual said to remove a whole bunch of other things but thats for a stock XJ.

2) Im wary of using any RTV and Cruiser has advised me not to which for obvious reasons I agree with. He was saying use Gaskacinch. How would it be best applied? On the entire gasket or just in a few spots?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I am going to document this probably with a video so we can see how it goes.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Been yanking wrenches as a pro for 27 years. Here's how I treat them. RTV only in the corners. Perma-Dry is good but not that good. Anyplace there is a seam between two parts at the engine block gets a small dab just as insurance. Let that skin over for about 10 minutes or so. Then I use spray adhesive on the pan and the gasket surface that goes to the pan and then install. Obviously everything must be clean for things to adhere. It holds the gasket in place during install and helps keep it in place the rest of the time its in service. No issues in 20+ years. Hope this helps.