Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Oil leak problem

First off I would just like to say hey to all proud jeep owners! Finally I am part of the group. I have been wanting to purchase a cherokee like this since I was about 14 or 15 when a buddy's mom bought one brand new, but I just never got around to buy one. Of course that was about 13 years ago. So I ran across a deal and couldn't pass it up. It is a 2001 cherokee classic. All one-tone white (fenders and bumpers included) with black interior. It is a beauty. It is all stock for now.

Now for the problem. Allthough this truck was only a one owner truck, the guy still managed to accumulate a lot of miles. It runs and drives great but it has 168k miles. Being that this truck had so many miles I nit picked it when I was looking for about two hours. There was a lot of old dry oil pretty much everywher under the engine but no new wet oil at all. I saw that the valve cover was leaking or had leaked in the past but thats an easy fix. So for two weaks I had been parking the cherokee in my drive way (which is concrete and clean) and I didn't see a drop of oil anytime I moved it. I did an oil change on it and all of the sudden it starting leaking in a couple different spots on the drive. Its not a lot but its hard to tell where its coming from. I put the high mileage oil in it because thats what the guy who sold it too me said he was using. I did the change myself so I know the filter and the drain bolt are tight. I took it two a shop down the road and they were no help. They said this was tipical for a jeep whith this many miles. I dont know maybee it is, maybee its not.

Has anyone had this problem in the past. Is the stock oil pump strong enough to run a thicker oil to reduce the leak? Or if anyone knows where the commom leak areas are I would greatly apriciate some info. I look foward to hearing from some people who actually drive these trucks, not just a shop that thinks your wasting there time. Thanks

Last edited by dans01classic; 12-15-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 I6

As many old Jeepers have said:
Oil? Jeeps don't use oil...are you sure you have a Jeep?

I always thought they were shipped from the factory with a nice, even, oil/dirt mix filmed over everything....
Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yea, i got my jeep about 2 months ago. It had that leak to begin with, try and look in between the oil pan and the transmission pan. i had a huge gap up there and i'm going to glue it to see if it'll stop it. i'm 90 % sure its going to, and i plan on doing it for my friend too, cause hey lets be honest, some jeeps just like to leak oil. If you don't know what i'm talking about message me and ill put some pictures up