Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil in coolant

The title pretty much describes my problem I have had a oil leak before from the pressure gauge but as I was flushing my radiator and coolant in the dirty water that came out I notice swirls in the water like what oil does there is also a clog in my radiator because it took forever to flush it just slowly dripping any suggestions on how to unclog or why there is oil will help it seems as if the coolant has never been flushed on this 1996 sport and the prestone flush and fill didn't unclog it
Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Xjzunig
The title pretty much describes my problem I have had a oil leak before from the pressure gauge but as I was flushing my radiator and coolant in the dirty water that came out I notice swirls in the water like what oil does there is also a clog in my radiator because it took forever to flush it just slowly dripping any suggestions on how to unclog or why there is oil will help it seems as if the coolant has never been flushed on this 1996 sport and the prestone flush and fill didn't unclog it
If your radiator has the aux cooler tank for the tranny it could be leaking into the radiator. I'd check the tranny fluid carefully for any signs of contamination. Not likely, but possible.
*Anti-freeze does have lubricant in it, maybe it is just discolored from being in there so long.
*You should be able to see inside the radiator thru the filler cap.. you won't see much of it, but if it's clogged where you can see it, you can bet it's clogged where you can't see it too.
*If there's no overheating issues, I'd say the flush 'n fill helped it a lot. If you're going to flush it some more, pull the lower radiator hose off to drain it faster and look for any sludge buildup. After over 10 years with no new coolant, i'd be surprised if there wasn't any.
*If it was me, i'd be replacing all the other fluids you've been ignoring. Tranny fluid, TC, diffs, brake fluid etc. Couldn't hurt.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I just bought this car a few months ago I'm a new driver and jeeper and don't know why to do ill probably get around to replacing them all but thank you I would never let it go this long if I had owned it from the start but it's only a year younger than me haha