Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The OEM Replacement Parts That You Should Avoid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Arrow The Aftermarket Replacement Parts That You Should Avoid Thread

This thread is dedicated to those Aftermarket Replacement Parts that you should avoid. My reason for this thread is my current issue with BWD Brand TPS's. After some research and going through 2 in @ month I can say these are indeed a TPS that should be avoided. So to help others out so they don't run into the same headaches as I did lets get a running list of replacement aftermarket parts that are know to be bad and that should be avoided. At the same time we can also post what replacement part and brand was used to solve the problem with no issues.

I'll start with the TPS:

89' XJ Automatic Trans TPS
Brand: BWD from O'Reilly's
Issue: First one failed after two weeks, Second is failing to unlock Torque Converter when coasting.

Solution TPS Brand: NAPA or OEM

Last edited by Black89; 10-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Maybe it's just me, but the title of your thread sounded like OEM (Mopar) parts to avoid.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I think you mean aftermarket, not OEM.

ETA: Are you sure the wiring is not at fault?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Year: 2001

Not hijacking, just pointing out that for some of these Aftermarket or hell even OEM parts, there all mass produced and then labeled with brands. same china made crap with a different sticker....

kinda like how Con agra foods makes tons of peanut butter all the same stuff just different labels.

there will be bad batches though something you cannot avoid.

thats why if possible always buy a part with a warranty! might cost a little more but could save your butt in the long run!

But this thread is very valid non the less. Pretty much I suggest staying away from Duralast altenators. I bought 4 from the same store the same day and ALL were bad!!!! I was getting pissy and they kept telling me its the truck I was working on, yet they tested every one and they were ALL bad! went to orielly's and got whatever brand they carry(cant remember) fixed!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by belvedere
Maybe it's just me, but the title of your thread sounded like OEM (Mopar) parts to avoid.
Fixed that..

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I think you mean aftermarket, not OEM.

ETA: Are you sure the wiring is not at fault?
Wiring isn't the issue it's all been checked, tested, fixed and refreshed. Please lets keep this on topic. It's common knowledge that there are certain aftermarket parts out there by some manufacturers that should be avoided and I want this to be the place to list them. Pretty simple so lets keep it on topic.

Thanks,

Black89
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by codykrr
Not hijacking, just pointing out that for some of these Aftermarket or hell even OEM parts, there all mass produced and then labeled with brands. same china made crap with a different sticker....

kinda like how Con agra foods makes tons of peanut butter all the same stuff just different labels.

there will be bad batches though something you cannot avoid.

thats why if possible always buy a part with a warranty! might cost a little more but could save your butt in the long run!

But this thread is very valid non the less. Pretty much I suggest staying away from Duralast altenators. I bought 4 from the same store the same day and ALL were bad!!!! I was getting pissy and they kept telling me its the truck I was working on, yet they tested every one and they were ALL bad! went to orielly's and got whatever brand they carry(cant remember) fixed!
Bingo!! That's what I'm looking for!

Thanks,

Black89
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I bought a Standard Motor Products Oil Pressure Sender and it broke while I was screwing it on...with a Oil Filter Sending Unit Socket designed for the very job!

Went Mopar and was pleased.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by playbass
I bought a Standard Motor Products Oil Pressure Sender and it broke while I was screwing it on...with a Oil Filter Sending Unit Socket designed for the very job!

Went Mopar and was pleased.
Research here at Cherokee Forums has shown that the OEM Mopar Oil Pressure Sending units are the best and should only be used. They seem to be durable and the only ones that show correct pressure.

Thanks for the input,

Black89
Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Let me hit you up with some facts-
Parts stores sell parts cheaper then the dealership/ factory because they are in fact (most of the time) oem parts that didn't pass the oem standards, but were in a "usable" range. They get shipped off to Borg warner, duralast, etc. and are simply re packaged and sold. Remeber, factory parts were made to last atleast 100k miles to get you out of the warranty period, so the cream of the crop will cost you, where as you can get a part that is in the ballpark of being the same for half the price. Quality vs quantity. Thread is still valid, just thought that I'd share this with yall.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Autozone is the worste place to buy any parts. Most are inferior, and they seem to never get it right.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
Autozone is the worste place to buy any parts. Most are inferior, and they seem to never get it right.
Bought some Timken front hub units from AnalZone and they've been working fine.

Recommend OEM engine performance sensors even though they are more expensive. However, Echlin products, through NAPA, are pretty good.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

I would avoid Fram oil filters. I prefer Wix/NAPA Gold, but many others are good, too.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by belvedere
I would avoid Fram oil filters. I prefer Wix/NAPA Gold, but many others are good, too.
I use to absolutely love Fram due to the fact that they have the grippy crap on them. Until I heard all the bad crap about the bad filtration.

I'm now a fan of NAPA filters. The silver is cheaper & ALOT better than the Fram. Gold, get it on sale.

The NAPA filters even say "made by Wix" on the box.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Year: 2001

^ I like mobile1 oil filters...or wix. plenty of videos on YT showing the disection of oil filters. some are pretty shocking at how lack the quality are....

Motorcraft, wix, mobile 1, purolator and royal purple all come to mind when talking quality oil filters.

as for other parts that I found that just plain did not meet quality standards are duralast brake pads. or rotors.

I have used them a few times, but the warpage on the rotors goes from decent to extreme...especially if turned. there are a lot of factors that play into that I am aware. but with new everything(master cylinder, brake booster, lines, hoses, calipers complete fluid flush, basically if it was in the brake system it was BRAND NEW! over 500 dollars worth of parts. the only thing that was not replaced was a proportioning valve which for the model year truck I was working on is not avalible.

I went through a set of rotors with daily driving in 7 months. went to a local place had them turned everything was great for a month then the pedal pulsation was horrid. replaced both the pads and rotors with another set from a local parts store(singer auto parts in marshfield Missouri) they came in a white box no name and bam...problem was fixed. wished I had more info on current brand.

Also stear clear of the cheap drilled and slotted rotors from ebay!!! I bought a set for a good price got them home and I always use a guage to check the tolerances before putting brakes on and they were already out of whack! sent them back for a refund!

Also, never order window, windshield rubbers from a parts store. even had bad luck with dealer weather stripping. I always use safelight or another local company. depending on what exactly I am after.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by CCKen
Bought some Timken front hub units from AnalZone and they've been working fine.
That's because they are TIMKEN, one of the finest bearing companies!

How about ball joints? Anyone have bad luck with certain brands? I may have to get some.

Last edited by SuperRA; 10-12-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quick Reply: The OEM Replacement Parts That You Should Avoid Thread