Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM gas tank skid with hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default OEM gas tank skid with hitch?

Anybody using the OEM gas tank skid and also have a hitch? If so, can you describe how you mounted them both since they share the same mounting holes in the frame rail? What modifications were needed? Pics would be super!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

heres my 85 cherokee chief with the skid and hitch, i got it this way and never really used the hitch besides pulling a couple small shrubs for my mom

the more i look at it, it looks homemade haha but there is 4 bolts to the bumper (the plate is actually angle iron that goes up behind the bumper

this is behind the gas tank, there is a bolt through the unibody on each side (looking more and more like a homemade hitch)

the skid looks like it is taking place of the hitch bolts... i am wondering if the previous owner ran into the same problem as you and just made it this way. Glad this is just my parts jeep now haha I dont know if this is gonna help you or not. i can take more pics if you still need
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I don't know how much it'll help you, or if you can change the letters in the search to get what you need but a life saver of info for my WJ is the following site. Search: WJJeep.com Click the top listing that comes up.
Under Main menu go to trailer... it'll show you anything you need including hitch & skid plate mounting. Trailer hitch using two of same bolts on each side. I don't know how to link it for you. Hitch mounts on top of skid plate flange. Exploded view shown.

Last edited by ol"blue; 03-16-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, I appreciate the pics. Yeah, that hitch is a different setup than normal, maybe homemade, I don't know. But that skid is OEM I'm pretty sure. That third pic is a good shot of how it mounts, thanks.

So the question is, can the skid share the mounting bolts with the hitch and not compromise the strength of the hitch? I'm thinking about giving it a try. Anybody done this?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I don't know how much it'll help you, or if you can change the letters in the search to get what you need but a life saver of info for my WJ is the following site. Search: WJJeep.com Click the top listing that comes up.
Under Main menu go to trailer... it'll show you anything you need including hitch & skid plate mounting. Trailer hitch using two of same bolts on each side. I don't know how to link it for you. Hitch mounts on top of skid plate flange. Exploded view shown.
Hmm, I couldn't find that exploded picture. It may or may not help since it's a WJ, but can you just copy and paste the whole address for that page, even if it doesn't work as a link? That'll work for me! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Check it out.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:06 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

I have the hitch and stock gas tank skid mounted to the same blot holes. Basically it goes Skid then tow hitch then on the passenger side the exhaust hanger comes last...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

i did this on mine i had to make custom mounts for skid to go on with my hitch my cameras broke so i cant take picture but i mounted the skid first folowed by the hitch
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

See if I can download this pic. Can't believe it worked! The skid plate is attached, and it shows the plates' holes where the bolts were removed, to be used for hitch attachment- along with other hitch bolts.

Last edited by ol"blue; 04-02-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to give it a try soon and I'll post back up.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:37 PM

I pulled a factory hitch and skid off an '89 this morning. It didn't appear to have ever been messed with before. It had the hitch on the frame rail and the skid below it. So hitch then skid for an 89 w/OEM pieces at least. BTW: the factory hitch is WAY beefier than any other hitch I've ever seen look for one of those...
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hey what does the little nut strip they talk about on these things?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

Originally Posted by LazersGoPEWPEW
Hey what does the little nut strip they talk about on these things?
The nutstrips are installed in the "frame" rails by removing the bumper. The little lip goes towards the back of the vehicle and should go right over the O-shaped hole into the unibody rails. The nutstrip pictured here has the end that goes towards the front of the vehicle at the lower end of the picture (closer to the camera.) with the lip in the back. I believe this is the passenger side strip.

In my vehicle, I installed an OEM gas tank skid and a class III hitch of unknown brand (junkyard pull). Both the gas tank skid and hitch were of very typical design. At first, I tried installing the gas tank skid "under" the hitch (order from top -> down at mount point being vehicle, skid, hitch) to no avail. I looked at the gas tank a bit and you can see that the sides bow out a slight bit in a sideways-A type shape. This shape is to allow for the skidplate to fit "under" the hitch. (order being vehicle, hitch, skid). Now this makes much more sense as it allows you to install both the hitch and the skidplate individually, with no need to hold the other in place (you can bolt the hitch in place and then add the skidplate later without needing to remove the hitch or have to support it.). Also, mounting these in the order vehicle, hitch, skid allows for the skidplate and hitch to have smooth mounting surfaces (good for when either one have to take a strain...such as hitting a rock or pulling someone.). The skidplate took quite a bit of "coaxing" to slide in place...I had to lift it up with a floor jack in order to talk it into sliding over the hitch, but the installation definitely only worked that one way.

The skidplate and the hitch both share the same mounting bolts, which are 18mm 109-strength bolts and does not comprimise strength at all. With a little looking, you should be able to find all required hardware in a junkyard....don't forget the nut strips (pictured above) which may be pop-riveted in place. The pop-rivets should be easily breakable with a little coaxing.

I'll take more pictures of my setup tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Anybody using the OEM gas tank skid and also have a hitch? If so, can you describe how you mounted them both since they share the same mounting holes in the frame rail? What modifications were needed? Pics would be super!

frame, hitch, then skid on 96 and down; frame, skid, hitch on 97+.