Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM Cherokee radio options

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default OEM Cherokee radio options

I was wondering..I like the oem look of the radios that came in most vehicles...I was wondering if you guys know if any other Dodge Chrysler or Jeep radios would be plug and play in my 99 Cherokee?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Dont take my word for it, but i'd say no. Even if you do find one that would fit i doubt it'll plug in, you'd have to cut and connect the wires. And if you found one that plugged i doubt it would fit. Either way its not very likely..

But if you can find one that will fit its not very difficult at all to wire it in. I taught myself with no prior experience on my yota.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I think the radio out of several Chrysler products will fit.. I compared an orginal Jeep radio unit to a couple of dodge units out of minivan and they appeared to be the same mounting spots and the wiring harnest was the same.. I couldn't guarentee that the wire in the connector are in the correct spot but my guess they would be close. It would be fairlly easy to check the wiring and move a wire if needed. After all they are made by the same company,..
Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by 94zjdriver
I think the radio out of several Chrysler products will fit.. I compared an orginal Jeep radio unit to a couple of dodge units out of minivan and they appeared to be the same mounting spots and the wiring harnest was the same.. I couldn't guarentee that the wire in the connector are in the correct spot but my guess they would be close. It would be fairlly easy to check the wiring and move a wire if needed. After all they are made by the same company,..
yeah I had a suspicion that they were the same if not similar...I just didnt know if some were direct plug and plays...if im going to have to splice the harness (which i am capable of doing, as far as I know) then i minds well just get an aftermarket. I was just looking for a cheap alternative for the time being
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

sony explode unit look good in dash not to costly then just get the harness kit youll be in for around 100 bucks
Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have several out in the garage from different chrysler/jeep vehicles. swapping between model shifts is cake work, i.e.: 94-96 the wiring is the same on all the jeep and dodge models only the wire colors are different. 97-2001 2002 - 2006, get a little screwy after that, they all end up using different designs
Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 AM

I got my install kit for my 98 Xj off amazon for 10bucks and the plugs so u don't cut the factory plug for 5bucks it was very simple to do and bought agood Sony explode cd player from walmart for 90bucks I've had many Sonys over the years and in my opinion they are the best out there you can get at walmart but install kits and plugs cost more than amazon

OEM Cherokee radio options-forumrunner_20120121_061356.jpg
Old 01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

x2 on the plug^^ NEVER cut the factory plug on the harness. You can get a plug to go in it for sooo cheap that even gives you longer wires to play with.
The following users liked this post:
jdjonesdr (04-13-2024)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM

I know I already have a head unit in there, I just am more of a fan of the oem look. I used to install car audio professionally so I know all about the harness adapters and such.
I appreciate the feedback though.

Am I getting what was posted correct? So I could take a radio from a 99 Caravan and it should just plug and play correct?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
x2 on the plug^^ NEVER cut the factory plug on the harness. You can get a plug to go in it for sooo cheap that even gives you longer wires to play with.

For anyone that comes across this in the future. Listen to this ^^, every car I buy when I swap the head unit out it has been cut, twisted, and taped. It is a douchebag move and you leave people like me with the work of wiring radios in the **** way. Just buy a freaking adapter not only is it easier, safer, and cleaner, but you then get wires that are color coded for your aftermarket stereo's harness. People are so lazy and cheap they end up with the opposite effect by just making it harder for themselves and costing more to fix than the adapter.

Do it right, do it well, don't be lazy.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Year: 98 2 Door SE
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by sik_xj
I was wondering..I like the oem look of the radios that came in most vehicles...I was wondering if you guys know if any other Dodge Chrysler or Jeep radios would be plug and play in my 99 Cherokee?
I found one from a place called LKQ on line about two months ago & if I remember correct it came out of a Dodge Pick up. Radio is am/fm/cd/casette with equalizer on face for lows mid & highs. They told me it was a direct fit & it was plugged up to factory plugs in like 3 seconds no cuts or alterations. Paid $100. dollars & it was free shipped & it plays great in my 98 Se xj .
The following users liked this post:
Rubikahn (08-06-2023)
Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 AM

It is so much easyer to buy the plugs and do it right stupid people that cut the factory plug just so they don't gotta spend 8 bucks on a plug that alone will make me not buy a vehicle if I know bout it before hand anyway lol .... also you may like the factory look but you can't get the sound quality with oem like you can a aftermarket head unit
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 AM
N8N

Originally Posted by real_tree_camo_redneck
I got my install kit for my 98 Xj off amazon for 10bucks and the plugs so u don't cut the factory plug for 5bucks it was very simple to do and bought agood Sony explode cd player from walmart for 90bucks I've had many Sonys over the years and in my opinion they are the best out there you can get at walmart but install kits and plugs cost more than amazon

Attachment 89323
yup, I know that that is not the answer to the question the OP asked but I think the unit in your pic is the exact same unit that I have in mine (used to be my cousin's Jeep, she picked out the unit.) Only thing I don't like is no HD radio but the tuner is way more sensitive than the JVC in my pickup truck and the USB connection is awesome (since I have an android phone with about 20GB of music loaded on it) I just figured on swapping in my JVC and mailing the Sony back to her after I got home but now I'm shopping for a Sony with a HD Radio tuner. (I listen to a lot of commie radio - I mean NPR - and they're big on HD, my local affiliate has two HD subchannels that you can't get without the tuner, plus the sound quality can be better than analog depending on conditions.)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sik_xj
I know I already have a head unit in there, I just am more of a fan of the oem look. I used to install car audio professionally so I know all about the harness adapters and such.
I appreciate the feedback though.

Am I getting what was posted correct? So I could take a radio from a 99 Caravan and it should just plug and play correct?
yes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Look at the same year dodge minivan. I think that it will fit and plug in.

Quick Reply: OEM Cherokee radio options