Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oem 96 radio questions

Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Oem 96 radio questions

Hello,

i recently got a 96 cherokee.

its a stripped down model with only ac and radio as options.

Question1:
does the oem radio have any kind of backlight for the lcd display? (Non cassette model radio)

i can see it fine during the day but at night nit too much.

Question 2:
It seems my cherokee has had no rear tailgate speakers from the factory... just the 2 fronts in the doors.

if i wanted to add speakers to the rear hatch in the factory locations, is there already oem wiring in the harness for those rear speakers? Or do i need to run my own speaker wire to have front and rear sound?

thank you,

Greg
Old 08-19-2017, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

For the speakers you most likely need to get new headliner as yours may not have the speaker spots and then most likely have to run your own wiring.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

ohhh wait! wrong year jeep i thought yours had the soundbar in the back i think those had the speakers in the hatch. Nonetheless you may have to run your own wires.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The radio should have a back light but at its age its probably burned out,On the rear speakers i rather run new wires then use something oem.With age wires get brittle and the coating can crack off it.And the factory speaker wires on most cars are kinda small and now you can run thicker wire for more power and sound.And if your not happy with your factory radio you can get a din adapter kit and a good din size radio is 100 bucks or less now a days.