Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odd Interior Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question Odd Interior Electrical Problems

Hey Guys, I am new the forum and recently bought A 2001 Cherokee Limited. Yesterday while investigating why my radio(after market) was giving me nothing but static, I found that the previous owner did not connect the antenna input and that he had also done a really poor job wiring the connection in. So I rewired the radio and made sure all connections were correct and spliced together properly, afterwards I wanted to test the radio and during testing found that I was getting nothing out the speakers, no static, no beeps from the radio, nothing. It had already gotten dark and started raining so I decided to call it a day. When I went to unlock the doors to put my toolbox in the back I noticed that the none of the doors would unlock, that the interior lights for the 4wd shifter, heated seats switch lights, and that the trunk lock actuator would run constantly until I released the switch.

My initial reaction was to unplug the radio and see if that fixed the problem, doing so changed nothing. This makes me think that the rain may have gotten into a connector or that I have a bad ground somewhere for the interior.

All other electrical functions for the interior seem to be fine. The windows still roll up and down, and the engine will still turnover and crank.

Have any of y'all experienced this problem, or a similar one?
What further steps should I take to proceed with trouble shooting the issue?

Last edited by NavyJeep; 10-25-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would suspect some shorts in the wiring from the door to the body. Everything in that bundle is prone to shorting. Sounds like you have more than one.

Do you have a factory service manual? If not, you should buy one. Not a Haynes or Chiltons or anything like that--those are garbage and often not correct.

Get the one for your year here: http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html
Old 10-25-2016, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks, I will pull the boot and check out the harness.