Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odd Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Odd Gauge Issue

So I've got a brain buster on the 01 Cherokee. I bought it about a year ago with an inop gauge cluster and thought it would be an easy fix. But I've had no luck fixing the problem. The gauge self test runs through the cycles as it should. I've swapped clusters, cleaned the contacts behind the cluster, removed and cleaned all related grounds. A recent development with summer has given me some hope though. I had them just come on one day after running around town lots of starting and turning off, the engine was hot the gauges were delayed but working. I tested this again today when I got home, sat in the driveway until the e-fan kicked on and shut the jeep off, then did a few starts and walked away for about ten minutes came back and started her up and the gauges were functioning until I put it in reverse. I thought the problem had something to do with the RKE as the dome light will stay on until it times out even while driving but now I'm not so sure about this theory now. Im thinking the problem has to be in the engine bay. It blows my mind as to why I can only get them to function with a hot engine. Hoping one of the electrical gurus on here can help me out.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-10-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

No takers. Here are some pics to show I'm not crazy 1st driving home tach and voltage were on when I started it up once I lost gauges the voltage froze where it was. Then idling till e fan comes on and letting it sit for about 10 min. Tach was on until just before this pic.