Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odd fluid leak - couple things?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default Odd fluid leak - couple things?

So the Jeep has been sitting for a week or so getting myself ready to swap my 0331 head, and I noticed something peculiar. I have a fluid leak or possibly multiple things leaking at once. I uploaded a few pics, but the first thing that I noticed were 2 spots on the ground right by my tires. Just to the inside of each tire.
https://i.imgur.com/xD7wtFr.jpg

Got under the jeep and noticed the following 2:
Oil pan
https://i.imgur.com/3qapUfs.jpg

Starter
https://i.imgur.com/WyFVM7e.jpg

Getting under the Jeep doesn't show me much but what looks to be some sort of fluid leaking out of the bottom of the shock. What. Both of them have liquid dripping off the ends of the shocks where they mount on the bottom. Thinking this was weird, I go into the engine bay and start looking around with a flashlight. Apart from grime/oil on the actual engine block, my bay is 100% bone dry.

I get that junk has probably leaked out onto my engine block and fell down onto the other parts in the pictures that I've uploaded, but what would be coming from the areas surrounding the shocks? Fluid on the shock doesnt really have a color and smells a little Windex like. Washer fluid bottle seems fine.

The other area in question looks to be the transmission fluid pan. It is absolutely covered in grime and seems to have a slight leak. Fluid that I can wipe off of it is slightly red. Which i assume is tranny fluid, but Anyone have a guess at where all of that black oily grime on the pan would be coming from? Oil is in check, filter isn't leaking anywhere. I thought maybe there was a bad seal in the transmission fluid pan, but you can see in the pic that the top of the pan is pretty dry.
https://i.imgur.com/A2VXcNf.jpg

Fluid
https://i.imgur.com/QBYpwmd.jpg

I can wipe anything in this pic with my finger and come back with wet grime. Where the heck would all of this be coming from?

Last edited by XJ-kee; 04-28-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a hard time following the description of all your leaks... For the back tire area, if the shocks you were talking about are your rear shocks, then that could easily be where its coming from. The seals in the shocks can go bad and start leaking out their fluid, especially if you've loaded down the back end with a lot of weight recently.

If the shocks you described were front shocks, then I would suspect leaking wheel cylinders or break lines, but could also be the axle seals. Break fluid will be clear while gear oil will be much darker, depending on the age of it .

As for all the oil leaks... start at the top of the engine and work your way down. A leaking valve cover gasket can present itself as bad RMS if you only look where its dripping from. The oil flows downhill, so start at the top and eliminate things as you work your way down.

Last edited by HEAP of JEEP; 04-28-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I bring bad news, spare the messenger. The first picture is very telling.
The leaking fluid on the axle knuckles is gear oil from the front differential, a lot of it.
There are seals inside the differential, they are damaged. It is a costly fix because the differential has to come apart.
Good news is, all that mess is likely from the gear oil, windblown all over and road grimed.
Will have to clean it all up to diagnose any further leaks.
Likely gear oil on the shocks and your fingers. Red fluid could be from leaky transmission connections, the cooler lines entering transmission and/or rubber connections.
Look in the lower 'C' of the steering knuckle, see all that fluid pooled up?

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-28-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by HEAP of JEEP
I had a hard time following the description of all your leaks...
Sorry about that. I kept reading over it and re-writing it because I couldn't think of the best way to lay it out..ha. Brake fluid is a good idea. It's definitely clear, and if you look closely at that first picture you can also kind of see wetness on the knuckle/near the u joint. Maybe something popped? I'll have to look closer at brake lines. I'm tearing apart the head this weekend and spending some time cleaning all of the oil that seems to be everywhere. Hopefully I'll find something, and at the very least it was have new gaskets.

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I bring bad news, spare the messenger. The first picture is very telling.
The leaking fluid on the axle knuckles is gear oil from the front differential, a lot of it.
Look in the lower 'C' of the steering knuckle, see all that fluid pooled up?
Yeah I noticed the knuckle after I uploaded the pic. It didn't seem that apparent when I was outside looking at it. So a seal can break inside the diff, and leak to both sides of the axles? Or did a seal break at the same time on both sides? Haven't ever touched my front diff before, is this an easy fix if I do it myself?

Last edited by XJ-kee; 04-29-2015 at 06:31 AM. Reason: break = brake :(
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Beach Bum

First let's confirm that the fluid pooled in the steering knuckle is gear oil and not brake fluid. Gear oil is thick, brake fluid is very thin. The fluid pooled there should be fresh, use a paper towel to wick up some fluid for identification.
Check the brake reservoir in engine compartment, it is at the full mark?
I will check back after lunchtime
Old 04-29-2015, 11:09 AM

First let's confirm that the fluid pooled in the steering knuckle is gear oil and not brake fluid. Gear oil is thick, brake fluid is very thin. The fluid pooled there should be fresh, use a paper towel to wick up some fluid for identification.
Check the brake reservoir in engine compartment, it is at the full mark?
I will check back after lunchtime
I'm also at work right now so I cannot check until I get back home. When I was out there yesterday, it was a thin oil consistency. The same look that you see in that pic on the knuckle is the same look that the shock has on it right above it. Wiped my finger on a droplet hanging off and it was slightly brown. led me to check the level in the power steering fluid which was fine.

I'll check when I get home but it will be kind of hard to get some off of the ground. When I was down there yesterday it was almost dry and I wasn't able to get any on my hands. seems more like within the last week of me not driving the car, it leaked and dried/washed away and left a stain.

I'll know a little more when I can check the brake reservoir and have the consistency to check against what's on the shock/knuckle. The diff seal makes sense as to why it would be leaking out of both sides at the same time. I would be surprised if I broke a couple brake lines at the exact same time. I would almost hope for the diff one at the moment since I'm having to bring my car to it's new location for my head swap. Can't really do that without brakes Think I can survive without my front diff for a few miles.

As a side note, is this what Im looking for, if it was that seal?
Napa Seal

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by XJ-kee; 04-29-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added Napa link
Old 04-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Beach Bum

Something is weird, cannot figure exactly what.
Gear oil spilled from the differential or axle tubes, usually will not dry or wash away easily.
The front differential has a rubber plug, level of gear oil 'should' be even with that hole (that is the fill plug, filled until oil runs out). Pull the plug and look in there with a flashlight. Is it empty?

Gear oil stinks and is thick (if it is in good condition).
Brake fluid does not have much smell, is thin and almost clear. But it is caustic, avoid getting it on hands and especially face.
That is the correct inner axle seal.

Lets figure out what fluids are empty. That may be the easiest way due to the grime hiding any obvious leaks.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

These leaks are not abnormal. It could be that the passenger side inner axle seal has gotten some dirt on it and is no longer forming a perfect seal. Based on the photo I don't think its brake fluid, but the fluid should be positively identified before a repair is performed. Axle seal replacement is not that big of a deal. You do need to drain the differential fluid, pull both hubs and shafts, remove the differential carrier/ring gear, and change the seals. But no differential set up is required. If the bearings look good, just put it back together. Seals are about $20 for both sides (or less).

The oil filter adapter o-rings are notorious for leaking. Wind and the fans will push fluid back towards the transmission. Depending on the size of the leak, it will end up dripping and on your transmission pan. The oil filter adapter o-ring seals are no more than $20 for the dealer seal kit. You can buy Fel Pro o-ring for about $1-2.

It could also be that the rear main seal is leaking (in combination with the oil filter adapter). That is not an expensive part either, but it takes time because you have to drop the oil pan to get to it.

Fel Pro sells a combination gasket set (lower end gasket set) that includes the oil filter o-rings, oil pan gasket, RMS, distributor gasket, water pump gasket, front timing cover gasket, and front crank seal for about $25-30. The labor to change these parts will be high if you're paying a shop. But if you have mechanical know how and ambition you can do it yourself.

Last edited by md21722; 04-29-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Alright I'm home and have some information/pics. I checked the brake fluid, and it's perfectly full. Pulled the fill plug on the front differential, and it's within 1/8" to 1/4" of the top of the diff, looks clear, smells gross. To me, that's perfectly full and fine and doesn't account for the stuff that would be leaking out of both sides of the axle. Fluid is only around the shock bolts. I also have video. Sorry for it being vertical and shaky. Right now they are still processing on youtube, but I will link them up as soon as they're done. So without further ado, more pics.

First attached 3 are driver, second 2 are passenger. Couple more located:
Drive side shock
Paper towel wipe

I'm not familiar with lines very much but brake lines near the front brakes look good to me. The hard line is a little rusted, but definitely not wet at all. The hose lines dont look dry or cracked.

I also checked the transmission lines running from the radiator back to the transmission and they both look good and dry.

Anyone have a clue what this liquid on the shocks is? Do the front shocks use some sort of fluid on the inside? Judging by what they look like, they're pretty damn old. Ironically, I found my head being cracked while I was looking at adding a lift kit with shocks and springs, so I was planning on replacing these soon anyways.
Attached Thumbnails Odd fluid leak - couple things?-driver-side-pool.jpg   Odd fluid leak - couple things?-driver-side-knuckle-better.jpg   Odd fluid leak - couple things?-driver-shock-2.jpg   Odd fluid leak - couple things?-passenger-shock-2-.jpg   Odd fluid leak - couple things?-passenger-shock.jpg  

Old 04-29-2015, 06:41 PM

Here are the two videos. Mainly to just quickly show their surroundings in case the pictures weren't enough.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Also, watching these makes me realize I'm missing that little black grommet on the passenger side of the axle. Anyone know what the piece is called?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Beach Bum

Well, I must retract and apologize for my first post. It is incorrect given these new pictures and the fact that the gear oil is still there.
I did not think that shocks would have that much fluid in them. It definitely appears they could be the culprit, especially the way they are corroded.

Your new pics show that there is no puddle of gear oil in the lower 'C' at ends of axle. However the passenger side has some debris accumulation.

If the brake line had dumped that much fluid, you would have zero brakes.

You confirmed that the various fluid levels are correct.

What else is there? the shocks, which are oil filled.

The part number for that dust shield is 16527.22
Here is a link;
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/omix-ax...-16527-22.html
Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The axle C would be wet if it was leaking out the inner seal. With the new photos, it looks like the shocks to me. I have never seen shocks so rusted before.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:31 AM

What else is there? the shocks, which are oil filled.

The part number for that dust shield is 16527.22
Here is a link;
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/omix-ax...-16527-22.html
Call me ignorant, but I actually had no idea that shocks had this kind of oil in them. I thought it was more of a grease than a thin oil. Thanks for the part number.

Originally Posted by md21722
The axle C would be wet if it was leaking out the inner seal. With the new photos, it looks like the shocks to me. I have never seen shocks so rusted before.
Yeah...They were part of the reason I started looking at a lift. Gotta love 15 years of Michigan Winter.

Thanks for the help, guys. New shocks (ahem - lift) will be in order on the next paycheck.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by md21722

I was thinking the very same thing, in 67 yrs never saw any that bad "STILL INSTALLED"
Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by XJ-kee
Call me ignorant, but I actually had no idea that shocks had this kind of oil in them. I thought it was more of a grease than a thin oil. Thanks for the part number.
Shocks use valves with small holes that allow the fluid to pass through. This is the dampening effect. Different valving is used to change the dynamics of the shock. Shock oil also has different weights but is all fairly thin.

Quick Reply: Odd fluid leak - couple things?