Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

o2 sensors + fuse pull or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Arrow o2 sensors + fuse pull or no?

So, it's time to get a couple opinions.

My friend and I both have XJ's with no downstream o2 sensors and no cats.

He's always ran with the fuse in (to make use of the upstream sensor?) and get a check engine light for the missing one.

I've always run (and so did my PO) with the fuse out (removing use of the upstream sensor?) and have no check engine light.
__________________________________________________ ___________
Questions:

Does having the downstream o2 sensor missing ruin the whole system (not make use of the upstream sensor) or does it just not give the computer the information past the missing cat? (efficiency of the cat)

Does running with the fuse in (making use of the upstream o2 sensor?) give you better gas mileage and/or performance by keeping the "closed loop."

Related Question

He popped his fuse out for the o2 sensors and made a run around the block and was getting same/similar idle and performance in his XJ, or just does it take a couple of start ups for the computer to adjust without the fuse in place?

Anyone with first hand experience or knowledge please let us know (as I'm ready to pop in my fuse for better gas mileage)

And if running with the fuse is the better case.. are there any permanent o2 simulators so we don't get the CEL everyday? (because simulators aren't a permanent solution and need frequent adjusting).

Here we go!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

read the rules dude

CF Official Rules

Family Friendly
1. We are a family forum and would like to keep it that way. Respect yourself as well as others. We do not tolerate threats and/or harassment. Cursing in the open forum areas is not allowed in any form.

Pictures
2. There will be NO nudity of any kind. This rule will result in instant deletion of post/thread and possibly further specific user punishment.

Censor
3. We have a censor in working order so use it. DO NOT get around the words that have been censored by using other characters such as 1 etc. When posting simply type in all the words that you wish to say and if they come up with asterisks then just let them be.

Locked/Deleted/Edited Posts
4. If a moderator has altered a post/thread that you have made DO NOT publicly talk about it. If you have a question regarding a decision that has been made either PM myself or a member of the moderator team and it will be addressed. However once a decision has been made it is final.

Illegal Activity
5. Do not talk about illegal activity on this forum. This includes illegal drugs, parties, wheeling, internet use, etc. Violators of this rule will be dealt with on a case by case basis. This rule includes the discussion of removing catalytic convertors, this is illegal and not allowed to be discussed on this site.

Moderators
6. Do not ask about becoming a moderator. Moderators will be hand picked and then voted upon by the administration of CF. If you ask to become one you will be remembered and left out of any future moderator voting.

Help Keeping The Forum Clean
7. Help us moderate CF by using the report post button. Use this button if you find a violation of any of CF's rules, please leave a short description of what has been violated to help the administration keep CF running smoothly.

Padding/Spaming
8. Do not pad or spam post. This includes posting continuous one word responses that do not pertain to the subject at hand. This also includes excessive advertising through out CF. No bumping of threads are allowed, this is considered as padding.

We will be editing these rules as time goes on and we feel more or less needs to happen with CF. We thank you for your understanding and we also encourage all to post in the suggestions section of CF with questions regarding our rules.

Copy Righted Material
9. You may only post material and content that you own. Posting copyrighted material, trademarks, and other violations of the DMCA is prohibited.

Vendor Rules
10. Vendors are allowed to post their specials in the Vendor Showcase section of the site and ONLY in this section. Any other solicitations or advertisements outside of this section will be deleted. Vendors are encouraged to post in all sections as long as their posts are appropriate, on topic and are helpful to other members.

***Note***
Topics we do not allow are Religious and Political discussions. These topic general do not turn out well therefore we can not allow them to be discussed. There are plenty of forums available for such topics. Thank you for your understanding.

**Please Note**
Posting on this site is a privilege not a right. As such your privilege to post on this site could be revoked at the sole discretion of the site staff.

These rules are basic guidelines and as such enforcement and interpretation is solely up to the site staff.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Old 03-15-2012, 01:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
lol
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

here is your best option... put a freaking cat back in it and get your mpg's back and the jeep will run better!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
here is your best option... put a freaking cat back in it and get your mpg's back and the jeep will run better!
My MPG's are surprisingly not bad compared to others (but they could always be better ) but putting a cat back on it probably would help the engine.

But, if someone can provide the answers, it will help the other members who also are in the same situation and can't or don't have to ability to put a cat back on their Jeep.

Thanks for the support guys.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
"cf cat converter ****"

Oh god... I just saw this. What have I got myself into now.

Guess I'll be experimenting outside of CF from now on..
Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 AM

I just saw you bolded the whole.. don't talk about catalytic converters thing.

Guess I've been breathing too much bedliner and exhaust fumes today.

Let me copy what I wrote and you can delete this thread.