Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS problems Trans 0700

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NSS problems Trans 0700

Took the xj to a mechanic to clean the NSS after getting code p0700. The mechanic's Tranmission diagnostic pulled up nothing for some reason. But I told him about the common NSS problem and the reverse lights not working/won't start in neutral. Anyways, they clean it and clear the code. Now it starts in neutral but the reverse lights still aren't coming on. $70 and rising and I just looked on eBay that new NSS are only $30 on eBay?! Should have just ordered one instead. Any ideas why the reverse lights aren't working after the cleaning? They are going to have to check all the connections again. Fuse #10 right?
Old 03-04-2017, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Block the tires so the Jeep can't move. Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine, and put the transmission in Reverse. Loosen the smaller bolt and rotate the NSS, watch for the reverse lights to turn on and off. Note the position of the NSS when the reverse lights turn on and off. Adjust the NSS to the middle of the two points you noted. Snug the bolts just enough to hold the NSS, the case is plastic and if you wrench real hard on the bolts, the NSS will crack.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Block the tires so the Jeep can't move. Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine, and put the transmission in Reverse. Loosen the smaller bolt and rotate the NSS, watch for the reverse lights to turn on and off. Note the position of the NSS when the reverse lights turn on and off. Adjust the NSS to the middle of the two points you noted. Snug the bolts just enough to hold the NSS, the case is plastic and if you wrench real hard on the bolts, the NSS will crack.
Thanks for posting this. If the shop can't get it done, I may just buy a new one off of eBay.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

There is a fuse (10amp I think) in the passenger side kick panel that will keep them from turning on too. I found that out after spending $250 on a new nss. Check all your fuses just to rule it out and its free to do.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i have a 2000 sport that gets a check light /nss every few days. drives normal. i want to buy a new one and keep the old one, clean it check the condition.
how do i get the right one on ebay?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
i have a 2000 sport that gets a check light /nss every few days. drives normal. i want to buy a new one and keep the old one, clean it check the condition.
how do i get the right one on ebay?
I just typed in my 1998 jeep Cherokee Nuetral Safety Swith. I had read that this part was $150-$250 but I saw a ton of aftermarket ones there around $30 WITH warranty and returns. Would have ordered one if I had seen those first. Now I'm throwing away money at the shop to maybe not even have my issue fixed.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Mechanically Declined
I just typed in my 1998 jeep Cherokee Nuetral Safety Swith. I had read that this part was $150-$250 but I saw a ton of aftermarket ones there around $30 WITH warranty and returns. Would have ordered one if I had seen those first. Now I'm throwing away money at the shop to maybe not even have my issue fixed.
If it was cleaned, it probably just needs to be adjusted as mentioned in post #2.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
If it was cleaned, it probably just needs to be adjusted as mentioned in post #2.
I believe they only cleaned the connections, I will try the adjustment and post my results.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:08 PM

So I got down and looked at the NSS. I was dirty, shop said the cleaned the connectors. I told them I need the switch cleaned. Doesn't really look like they did anything, the outside of the switch was still dirty and they did not open it up or even remove it I am guessing. I unscrewed the adjuster bolt and played with the positioning in reverse with the wheel blocked. I strayed some degreaser under the bolt as well to try and free anything I could that could have been blocking the connection. Did not bring my reverse lights back on. I'm pretty annoyed with this mechanic and I'm out $70 and now another $30-35 for a new NSS it looks like.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

So I got down and looked at the NSS. I was dirty, shop said the cleaned the connectors. I told them I need the switch cleaned. Doesn't really look like they did anything, the outside of the switch was still dirty and they did not open it up or even remove it I am guessing. I unscrewed the adjuster bolt and played with the positioning in reverse with the wheel blocked. I strayed some degreaser under the bolt as well to try and free anything I could that could have been blocking the connection. Did not bring my reverse lights back on. I'm pretty annoyed with this mechanic and I'm out $70 and now another $30-35 for a new NSS it looks like.
Just pull the NSS yourself and clean it up. Takes all of 10-15 minutes...
Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

I believe they only cleaned the connections, I will try the adjustment and post my results.
Yeah, as you now know, it needs to be taken off, opened and cleaned. I would be pissed at that "mechanic" too and never take anything else back to him. There are videos and plenty of how-to's. I attempted to do this but my broke. I am in the Northeast so years of salt didn't help it. Give it a shot yourself before buying a new one.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Cleaning the NSS is the easy part. Getting it off, not so much. Consider buying a replacement in case the old one breaks during removal. It happens.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Cleaning the NSS is the easy part. Getting it off, not so much. Consider buying a replacement in case the old one breaks during removal. It happens.
This is what I hear. The zip ties are apparently a total pain.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

This is what I hear. The zip ties are apparently a total pain.
justv one of the zip ties gave me trouble. But I went and got some cheap long reach pliers and it was simple. Taking it off was easy.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
justv one of the zip ties gave me trouble. But I went and got some cheap long reach pliers and it was simple. Taking it off was easy.
Guess I will give it a try with the old man on Saturday. Still thinking maybe I should order one on the Bay. It's not broken...yet, I don't think. But if it did and I didn't have a replacement, I'd be a little stranded.