Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS issue....different

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999 sport 4x4
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default NSS issue....different

ok...so my SES light is on, someone had pulled the bulb....so I get a code p1899 for the NSS ...read up on it on here...get a new one on ebay for $44 shipped....install it...light come right back on immediatly...so I adjust...no luck...I have reverse lights. and it starts fine...but it starts in every gear on there..so I unplug it...starts up in every gear...so I am thinking someone bypassed it...

so my question is...where would I look to see whom hacked it...its a 97 and I just got it a few months ago..what and where am I looking for a bypass to fix it...I have no sticker for inspection and need it..thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Disconnect your NSS from the harness and check pins B and C for continuity on the harness side. I'm guessing you'll have it. Since you've replaced the NSS, it's not bypassed on that side of the harness.

You said it starts in any gear so that means they've linked those wires (somewhere) or they've installed a jumper to the starter solenoid as a means of bypass. Look for an unusual wire coming off of the starter or a tap to the harness on either B or C or both.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Disconnect your NSS from the harness and check pins B and C for continuity on the harness side. I'm guessing you'll have it. Since you've replaced the NSS, it's not bypassed on that side of the harness.

You said it starts in any gear so that means they've linked those wires (somewhere) or they've installed a jumper to the starter solenoid as a means of bypass. Look for an unusual wire coming off of the starter or a tap to the harness on either B or C or both.

Thank you for the detailed info, I truly appreciate it...I will take a look
Old 06-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by F1Addict

ok one more dumb question...if I am putting the tester on the plug side...where would the other probe go in the harness....one would be in the plug itself...the other? thanks