Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS: Engine Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation NSS: Engine Side

Ok, so i traded my bike for an 88 cherokee Loredo. I am pouring money into it, not bad, some of the stuff is basic, but this guy removed the NSS which I am replacing on the first, but he also hached up EVERY wire coming out on the engine side, and there isn't any lose wires to see where they used to connect. he had a few wires hooked to a toggle switch inside the jeep. (I saw that, got mad, and cut them all before checking to see if that rigging may have made the reverse lights work...)

Anyway, I am getting a new NSS to put in, but I have no idea, and have been unable to find anything to let me see where all these wires should connect around the engine. Is there anyone who can give me a hand, since the wiring is cheap, and if there endpoints are still there, i can splice new wire in without a problem?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
Ok, so i traded my bike for an 88 cherokee Loredo. I am pouring money into it, not bad, some of the stuff is basic, but this guy removed the NSS which I am replacing on the first, but he also hached up EVERY wire coming out on the engine side, and there isn't any lose wires to see where they used to connect. he had a few wires hooked to a toggle switch inside the jeep. (I saw that, got mad, and cut them all before checking to see if that rigging may have made the reverse lights work...)

Anyway, I am getting a new NSS to put in, but I have no idea, and have been unable to find anything to let me see where all these wires should connect around the engine. Is there anyone who can give me a hand, since the wiring is cheap, and if there endpoints are still there, i can splice new wire in without a problem?

Thanks.
If you want to do a pic trade I can try and help. I have an '88 laredo and the wiring is pretty good, just a little loose here and there but all there, all hooked up and all original. Just tell me what you need, with pics and I'll try and track it down and send pics back to you.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

It sounds to me like a factory service manual would be a good investment. They can be found online very reasonably and will have complete wiring diagrams including wire colors. I have them for all of my cars and have used them quite a bit.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM

I'll get some pics up tonight after work, but I can tell ya, this thing is a mess. The PO ripped out a part of the ac, and has a mess here. But I like it and i'm going to fix her up...
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by CPLSeraphim
I'll get some pics up tonight after work, but I can tell ya, this thing is a mess. The PO ripped out a part of the ac, and has a mess here. But I like it and i'm going to fix her up...
Good for you, I like both of mine and even though they can be a pain sometimes they are a lot of fun. I almost like working on them as much as driving them.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 AM

Yeah, I always loved working on my wrangler, and my cherokee will be no differant. The biggest change is manual (wrangler) to automatic (cherokee), but It is a winter vehicle for me and the old lady... and I let her practice a stick... and my other car ended up in a corn field. needless to say, automatic is enough for her. lol

As for the pics, they will have to be done later today... work shift was an extra 5 hours... good for the bank... bad for the lighting for pics. lol. And I need to recheck the NSS to see if it was removed. I was reading more today, and a write up i read said it is on the drivers side... when another write up said passenger side, so I'll look on the drivers side and see if their is any luck there.