Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Now a nock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Now a nock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dynoj...ature=youtu.be

I dont have enough time to work on this crap right now or enogh money to pay for it to be done ! AHH.

Okay so i replaced my oil pump bcasue of low pressure.

Checked main bearing caps and rod bearing caps, only 1 rod bearing, and it looked perfect.

Put everything back together and crap . Now when my engine warms up it makes a nocking rattleing noise aboube about 2200-3000 ish.

Could the rod cap have somehow not seated properly?

Thats the video. Listen towards the end like 26 to the end.

Last edited by nick130069; 04-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Not only do I have the same problem, I have been trying to fix it for over a week straight now. At first I thought it was the rod bearings going bad so I replaced all of them. Then I thought that the bearings I got were no good because they didn't look like stock, so I replaced them AGAIN with a stock OEM replacement part.... I STILL have this knocking sound after the car warms up. I know that my bearings are fine and I plasti-gaged them to make sure they had enough oil clearance... My HV oil pump is the only other thing that I believe could be the culprit, but I don't see how a new HV oil pump could cause a knock....
Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter I6

did you put the rod cap back on the correct way? They are only supposed to go on one way
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

did your oil pressure increase or did it remain the same? How many miles? Have ever had coolant in the oil? HV pumps are larger and this may be causing the pick-up screen to be hitting the oil pan. Sometimes you have to hammer out the pan to make clearance.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bigbadon
did your oil pressure increase or did it remain the same? How many miles? Have ever had coolant in the oil? HV pumps are larger and this may be causing the pick-up screen to be hitting the oil pan. Sometimes you have to hammer out the pan to make clearance.
Yes i put it on the right way, the crank might have moved though between the time i removed it and put it back on, how ever it didnt seam to have any play in it when i re installed the cap.
Oil pressure went back to normal like it was supposed to be, old pump was faulty.
No coolant, i have the good block as far as i know. Nope not a HV pump. Attached a video here and on the first post.