Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Not sure what issue is

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: L6
Default Not sure what issue is

Hey everyone! So twice I've decided to drive my XJ to a concert with myself and some friends, and both times got stuck in traffic for a little bit. Both times, after about 20 mins of sitting in stop and go traffic, my jeep just shut off and wouldn't start again for 5-10 mins. I'm not sure what kind of an issue it is, but I know for a fact I had at least a half a tank of gas each time, so I didn't run out. The coolant was fine both times, and so was the oil. I feel like it has something to do with how it idles, but I have no clue and no one I've asked seems to know what it is either, and I'd rather not bring it to a garage to over pay if it's something small.

I'm not sure what the problem could be, so please if anyone has had this problem, help me out thanks so much
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lisspants
Hey everyone! So twice I've decided to drive my XJ to a concert with myself and some friends, and both times got stuck in traffic for a little bit. Both times, after about 20 mins of sitting in stop and go traffic, my jeep just shut off and wouldn't start again for 5-10 mins. I'm not sure what kind of an issue it is, but I know for a fact I had at least a half a tank of gas each time, so I didn't run out. The coolant was fine both times, and so was the oil. I feel like it has something to do with how it idles, but I have no clue and no one I've asked seems to know what it is either, and I'd rather not bring it to a garage to over pay if it's something small.

I'm not sure what the problem could be, so please if anyone has had this problem, help me out thanks so much
The Crankshaft Position Sensor is sensitive to heat as it ages. How long has your CPS been installed? Since 1998?

The ignition coil sometimes breaks down under heat.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: L6

As far as I know.. It hasn't been replaced since 1998. I bought it in 2010, and I haven't done it. Unless the previous owner did it but I have no idea