Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Not Death Wobble, Just a shake.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Not Death Wobble, Just a shake.

My 2000 XJ with a 2 in lift, and 1.5 spacers has developed a steady shake at exactly 50 MPH. I have put new tires on it, had front end alignment done, had tires rebalanced, changed Track bar, Tie rod ends and sterring stabilizer, then had front end alignment rechecked. I used poly bushings and I have no play at the wheels. If you stick your head out the window at 50 you can see a steady shake. The steering seems to have more play in it now and it seems harder to keep straight. I have checked the steering box and it is tight. I do have to turn the steering wheel a little more than normal to get movement now. Could it be the steering box internals are worn.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Never mind I found it. Tightened up my steering box adjustment screw and no wobble. Also my steering has the response it used to.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Steering box adjustment screw? where is that, and is it an easy fix?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Can you post a pic of it??
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Not to **** on the parade (lol) but I've heard on MANY sites and from many people that the difference between too loose, just right and way too tight on that screw in minute at best.
Typically if you tighten it up like that, yes it'll tighten up the box. It will also stress out everything in it and could in all likelyhood lead to premature failure of the steering box. If it happens at speed....hope you have your affairs in order when it locks up.
Probably be cheaper and safer to get a JY box and replace than pay a tech to do it properly, but if it was less than a turn ya might hit the sweet spot.

Quoted From NAXJA:
" CAUTION: Over-tightening this screw will ruin the steering box. First, this adjustment MUST be made with the steering gear in the straight ahead position. Second, do not over-tighten. These are recirculating ball steering boxes, not rackety pinion, and you will not/cannot get it to feel as precise as rack & pinion steering."

Alsoquoted from NAXJA:
I used to mention that you're not even supposed to touch the over-center adjustment until you had removed the box from the vehicle and checked the worm bearing preload adjustment. But everyone ignores that and just cranks down on the over-center screw, so I've stopped telling people how to do it right.

Plenty of people have done it though. Just lookin' out for yer Jeep and safety FWIW, not implying you don't know what you are doing lol

Last edited by Solomon7; 09-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Opposite the pitman arm is a large nut. (I think it's opposite). The shaft the nut is on has a slot. With the nut loose the shaft can be turned via the slot. This adjusts the play of the arm. It's easy to screw it up and make the steering bind. Best not to mess with it without having the proper procedure. It's the last thing to suspect, play is more likely somewhere, (or everywhere) else!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 PM

I was fully aware of the issues involved with adjustment. My box is basically shot anyway and I plain on replacing it. This was a quick way to tighten it and see if it was the problem. Unfortunately the shake came back which means steering isn't the issue. I am gonna mount a web cam on a magnet and move it around to see if I can find the source.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Zipperheadxj00
Steering box adjustment screw? where is that, and is it an easy fix?
It's directly on top of the steering box. Just remove the electric fan, loosen the nut surrounding the flat head screw and there you have it, eighty tighty lefty loosey. Just pay attention to other post about the dangers of doing this.