Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NOS Factory XJ subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NOS Factory XJ subwoofers

Just wanted to see if anyone else had put one of these in yet... Recently picked up a couple NOS XJ subs that drop into the spare, and was curious to know if anyone had one in. I was really excited to finally put hands on a couple... You could definitely tell these have been on a parts shelf just collecting dust forever. There isn't much out there about them, one of the things I read said they sounded great with the location, enclosure, and the reasonably sized sub (8"). I'll be pairing it with some Infinity Kappa's all around, and can't wait to get one of these things put in.

Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

No turd that fits inside spare does it plug into existing harness ?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
No turd that fits inside spare does it plug into existing harness ?
From what I gather, it fits perfectly into the stock spare, be it compact or full size, and that harness it comes with goes all the way to the radio... No factory pigtail back there, all wiring comes with the kit, and it just plugs into the stock harness behind the radio.

Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Automan2164
From what I gather, it fits perfectly into the stock spare, be it compact or full size, and that harness it comes with goes all the way to the radio... No factory pigtail back there, all wiring comes with the kit, and it just plugs into the stock harness behind the radio.

Rob
Was there more where you located yours or a part number ?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Was there more where you located yours or a part number ?
I went to my local dealer to find some composite XJ mudflaps, which are no longer made and no dealer in the system shows them on the shelf... We had the book out, so I said for laughs, look up this... Go figure, one dealer out East had them... Called on the one, and the guy basically said he would sell them to me just to get rid of them. By what I know, I got the last ones. Was thinking of putting one in and ebay-ing/best offering what I don't need.

Rob
Old 03-26-2013, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Personally I have never seen one of those. I just wonder if it was worth the money and if you would get half the sound of an aftermarket sub. I hope that it works for you. Let us know if it was worth it putting it in.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Might not even be worth the hassle of installing......^
Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM

I forgot where I ended up while I was searching, be it an old thread here, NAXJA, or JF, but someone had one and said it was perfect. Obviously you aren't going to be shaking windows or participating in bass comps, but just a richer sound and a little bit more hit would be all I want. I had an 8" bazooka tube in an old MJ that sounded great. Besides, if the stock 8" ends up being too weak, I have that enclosure to put a new one in and experiment with.

I like the fact that I gain a subwoofer, enclosure, and it all tucks away... Essentially not taking up any space I would have to set aside for even a small box and then end up with it in the way all the time. I frequently use the cargo area, so I can't give up the space.

That, and it's a friggen factory option! How cool is that!?
Rob

Last edited by Automan2164; 03-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Automan2164
I forgot where I ended up while I was searching, be it an old thread here, NAXJA, or JF, but someone had one and said it was perfect. Obviously you aren't going to be shaking windows or participating in bass comps, but just a richer sound and a little bit more hit would be all I want. I had an 8" bazooka tube in an old MJ that sounded great. Besides, if the stock 8" ends up being too weak, I have that enclosure to put a new one in and experiment with.

I like the fact that I gain a subwoofer, enclosure, and it all tucks away... Essentially not taking up any space I would have to set aside for even a small box and then end up with it in the way all the time. I frequently use the cargo area, so I can't give up the space.

That, and it's a friggen factory option! How cool is that!?
Rob
X2 ^^^^
Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 PM

Finally got the chance to put this in. I had some trouble with the speaker rattling in the box at first, but realized the rubber expansion plugs that hold the speaker in could use a bit of tightening... After that, it was all gravy. You aren't going to win any bass comps with it, but it adds that depth and richness to the sound. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It fit right into the convienience spare, and leaves nothing sitting on the cargo area floor. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a bit better sound, or someone looking to add a rare option.

I'll snap some pics of it tomorrow if I remember.
Rob