Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is this normal temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Is this normal temperature?

Is this normal temperature on a 96 degree day and about 65% humidity? I was waiting and idling with the ac on for about 10 minutes while waiting for a job interview in the sun. The fan shroud i know is slightly broken on the bottom and zip tied so it doesnt rattle against the fan. But for the most part it only went up to the first line after 210 and didnt go any further. Could the broken fan shroud do this? After i broke it i noticed my temps now fluctuate on very scorching hot days like this. It goes right back down after about 5 mins of driving around. It has a 180 degree thermostat in it as well..... Might i add no carpets SUCK as it was burning hot in the floorwell lol.

Last edited by EEVEE; 07-26-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is about where mine runs.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

That's about where you can expect it to run on a hot day with the A/C on during a long idle. There's little cause for concern unless it reaches that next tic mark. You might benefit from addressing the check engine light and low oil pressure though. An engine running optimally will not get as hot as one under unnecessary friction. You mentioned that it goes right back down after driving it around, so you might search "Extended Idle Switch" on here. Good luck with the interview.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

These years are known for the oil gauge failing. My failed and if you turn the key on but not start it goes to that same point. Then you start jeep and oil gauge never moves.

My jeep has a new stroker motor and new oil pressure sensor fwiw

Also with higher miles a new mechanical fan clutch can make the difference. Due to the fact these rigs run hot, in the spring/summer I run a 180° t-stat and 195° in the fall/winter. I have my auxillary fan wired to a switch also so i can run it in rush hour or extended idle periods like wheeling. With the 185° t-stat it stays about 1 and a half marks to the left of center with auxillary fan on and a.c. going.

A good system flush just before the hot season is always good practice as well. I always add some Royal Purple brand coolant additive and if I recall it adds up to 10% cooler temps. It does make a difference but these things are designed to run hot and with enough heat and sitting idle they still run about 200° most the time. Though doing all the above I stay lower about 90% Of the time

Last edited by MoparNJeep; 07-26-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: 2000/2001 are more known for actual low oil pressure
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

First and foremost, these engines run hot.
If your Jeep was idling a long time in hot weather when you took that pic.... i wouldn't worry about that temp as long as it doesn't climb higher.
Does the electric fan turn on at around that temp?
If the electric fan is working properly, it should pull the temp down or keep the temp within a safe range.

The 210 mark is where i manually kick in the electric fan... beat the PCM to the draw.
Cools down below 210 in a matter of minutes while idling.

Though its within spec, the oil pressure is on the low side at idle.
What year XJ do you have and what kind and viscosity engine oil are you running?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

So it seems normal for the most part? I noticed since i replaced my electric fan since the old one crapped out there is 1 less blade. I bought it off rock auto so maybe that is the reason it runs a bit warmer? I still have the old fan i wonder if i can swap the fan blades to see if that makes a difference. And it is a 1999, I have no clue where the fan turns on at without the ac because when i turn the ac on the fan kicks on anyways. But if i remember when i fixed a corroded wire and went to test it in a sand pit it kicked on at around 215 or about that mark where its sitting. The check engine light is the evap purge solenoid from what i checked, I will replace it once i can afford it... along with my brakes and other bits and pieces. And the oil pressure would be my next question in the future. I dont have a mechanical one to check, But i seen other jeeps run at this pressure within similar miles so i assumed that was normal. The oil i honestly have no clue, I guess i should ask next time i get it changed. I get it changed at this shop that does it for 10 bucks and is a family friend. so i would assume 10w 30 he uses. I cant pin down what the main reason would be because before when my old fan worked and i didnt try to "fix" my fan shroud it never budged past 210 but now it is and this is when i started to worry. I would suspect its the electric fan with 1 less blade or maybe my fan shroud is leaking air somewhere. And by leaking i mean not sealing as well as it used to lol but i zip tied the best i could with only a millimeter of crack still. But i assumed it would be fine. Although again it has been obnoxiously hot this week so maybe im worrying to much. I will also flush my cooling system when i can that is on my bucket list. At the moment it is using 50/50 coolant mix which is the green stuff.... Idiot at the auto parts store tried to tell me my jeep uses dex cool *shakes my head*.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
So it seems normal for the most part?
Yep, that's normal.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Yup. That’s right about where mine likes to sit
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Alright thanks! I have a question about the electric fan would the 9 bladed fan be worse than the 10 blade fan? i didnt even notice that until it came in the mail and compared the old one. Also as for the oil gauge it is odd lol everytime i turn the key it jumps to the first line and back to zero until i start it up. When i rev it at around 2k rpms it hangs around 33 psi assuming and driving the same. Cold it stays at 40 and revving or driving around 50 to 55 but i am do for an oil change in about 300 miles.... man 3000 miles goes quick in florida lol.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Alright thanks! I have a question about the electric fan would the 9 bladed fan be worse than the 10 blade fan? i didnt even notice that until it came in the mail and compared the old one. Also as for the oil gauge it is odd lol everytime i turn the key it jumps to the first line and back to zero until i start it up. When i rev it at around 2k rpms it hangs around 33 psi assuming and driving the same. Cold it stays at 40 and revving or driving around 50 to 55 but i am do for an oil change in about 300 miles.... man 3000 miles goes quick in florida lol.
You might need a oil pressure sending unit switch, $10 part and 10 mins and you should be good
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

when im moving,1500 rpm+ i read 50. min at idle 30
Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Alright, If all else fails i may just put a new oil pump in as well as when i finally do get money flow im gonna really fix this thing up properly and not half assed like the po did. But always check first so when i do get my hands on a mechanical gauge ill test it.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Oh! and maybe my alternator running lower than usual may be straining the engine more?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

so most posters trust the temp gauge, yep its normal,,but do not trust the oil gauge!

btw its been said here that bearing clearance has the biggest effect on oil pressure, not the pump.

just sayin...
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Really? i would have never guessed that tbh. I was planning on replacing alot of the engine parts and such since when i got this jeep the po never changed the oil he just added it when the valve cover leaked. But when i first got it i changed the oil myself before i let this shop do it, nothing but sludge came out practically. So i took the valve cover off since it needed to be changed as well then cleaned whatever sludge was up there then the oil pan which might i mention looked like a tar pit inside and the oil pickup tube was close to clogged so i tried my best to clear out the old crap with brake cleaner and then after that i put everything back together with new oil i ran it around for a few miles with seafoam then changed the oil again and left it like that since. I know what youre thinking why buy it. Well i got it for 50 bucks soooo i jumped on it. It seriously isnt as bad as it sounds though. I been around it and know what bad stuff happened to it. Its a slow process of fixing.