Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

noise at idle sounds like a vibration? clunking

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default noise at idle sounds like a vibration? clunking

Hi everyone i need some help my '01 XJ has a noise at idle sounds like a vibration/ clunking coming from under the shifter area. when i drive it goes away but when i idle especially wheni first start it up its at its worst. when its warm its less. anyone have this issue or have any ideas? thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 'The Invincible' 4.0

Does it make a different sound if you shift in reverse or if other people in your rig? I have a vibration issues and it's the exhaust sitting on the cross member. No clunking though.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your transmission and engine mounts.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bangarang
Does it make a different sound if you shift in reverse or if other people in your rig? I have a vibration issues and it's the exhaust sitting on the cross member. No clunking though.
Originally Posted by clydesdale
Check your transmission and engine mounts.
No change when others are in it just at idle. Ill check all the motor mounts, trany mounts and exhaust tomorrow. thanks I appreciate it. oh ya if its motor mounts any suggestions where to get good ones that aren't expensive ?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Depends on what kind of motor mounts you are looking for. I replaced mine and the transmission mount with anchor rubber mounts (~$7 and $~14 consecutively) since my rig is my DD and I want a smooth ride. Others go for polyurethane and such but you are going to have a rougher ride.

Also note that if your mounts are shot replace them immediately because it could cause your header to crack.

Last edited by Bangarang; 05-02-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Seasoned Member

all my mounts are good it does look like the exhaust is close to the cross member but obviously when i started it to check it out that vibration didn't happen
Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mtulett1
all my mounts are good it does look like the exhaust is close to the cross member but obviously when i started it to check it out that vibration didn't happen
Did it look like this. See that speck of rust on the crossmember below the exhaust pipe. That's where the exhaust pipe hits the crossmember when running. It clears when the engine cools off. It's actually worse now and I need to have a muffler shop weld the support rod, with the pipe jacked up to clear the crossmember.

Name:  TransmissionMountBrcket52058882.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  984.8 KB
Old 05-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
Did it look like this. See that speck of rust on the crossmember below the exhaust pipe. That's where the exhaust pipe hits the crossmember when running. It clears when the engine cools off. It's actually worse now and I need to have a muffler shop weld the support rod, with the pipe jacked up to clear the crossmember.

mine looks fine it actually sounds like the hanger that goes into the holder is wobbling around inside of the holder
Old 05-03-2014, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mtulett1
mine looks fine it actually sounds like the hanger that goes into the holder is wobbling around inside of the holder

What looks fine?

How does the hanger wobbling around inside the holder make a "sound"?

I think you should drive your Heep over to my place in Canton, and bring a case of Labatt Blue, so we can ponder this.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have the same issue. I've had the noise since I got my jeep a few years ago. It hasn't gotten any worse over time but it bugs the crap out of me. If you find the problem could you post up what it was because I'd love to fix mine too.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
What looks fine?

How does the hanger wobbling around inside the holder make a "sound"?

I think you should drive your Heep over to my place in Canton, and bring a case of Labatt Blue, so we can ponder this.

i like the way you think!!! i may take you up on it. is there a way to check the trany mount other than looing at it? I'm finding that that noise happens at idle and at intial acceleration.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

On my 2001 I sometimes get a rattle from the transfer case shifter lever. I pull up on the shifter a little and it stops. I haven't made a permanent repair. I suspect there is some slop in the linkage.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member

so it turns out that that sound is my exhaust hitting the crossmember so now i need to know how to fix it the holder hole is too big and the exhaust hanger rattles around in it can i get another holder?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM

THAT is a good question. I tried looking for a replacement hanger myself with no luck. I would recommend you 1) Lift the exhaust to a higher hole on your rear hangar (IF IT CLEARS) or 2) Take it to a muffle shop.

I lifted mine to a higher hanger and it rattled even more (still needed a few cm to clear it AND I wrapped the exhaust with header wrap b/t the crossmember, which didn't do squat so it's the muffler guys for me at least.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bangarang
THAT is a good question. I tried looking for a replacement hanger myself with no luck. I would recommend you 1) Lift the exhaust to a higher hole on your rear hangar (IF IT CLEARS) or 2) Take it to a muffle shop.

I lifted mine to a higher hanger and it rattled even more (still needed a few cm to clear it AND I wrapped the exhaust with header wrap b/t the crossmember, which didn't do squat so it's the muffler guys for me at least.
i'm going to replace the trans mount today and engine mounts so hopefully that will do it

Quick Reply: noise at idle sounds like a vibration? clunking