Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noise coming from the front end.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L L6
Default Noise coming from the front end.

So I just bought a 96 cherokee sport, 4x4 for $800. runs great and really love this Rig. But it started making loud roar form the front left. I replaced the bearing and that helped. but its still making noise just drives smother. When I was pulling the bearing/hub unit the shaft came with it, which is normal for this car because the hub is the only thing holding it in. My concern though is that when the shaft was out some gear oil leaked out (as i did see some come out), and that it might be the gears in the front axel making the noise.

Im a mechine mechanic so I work on gear boxes, but Im new to jeeps and wanted to get some advice. What do you all think?

Last edited by Jlovekamp; 11-28-2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: bad typing
Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Go fill it, I need to do the same thing. Now how about we both try it and post our results after. Mine makes a sort of grind/vibration. Im worried when I pulled my front hub recently that my axleshaft may have fallen out of its socket. Of course I put it back in, and it works in 4lo and 4high so I know its connected, but it makes noise and hesitates/grinds/vibrates. About to change ALL fluids.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by sandfish88
Go fill it, I need to do the same thing. Now how about we both try it and post our results after. Mine makes a sort of grind/vibration. Im worried when I pulled my front hub recently that my axleshaft may have fallen out of its socket. Of course I put it back in, and it works in 4lo and 4high so I know its connected, but it makes noise and hesitates/grinds/vibrates. About to change ALL fluids.
Hey thanks, I checked it tonight. it was full, and seeping out when I pulled the plug. it looked clean but a little frothy (but I had just driven it). I fished a magnet down in side to make sure there wernt any broken teeth or metal shaving and it came back clean.
both front wheel bearing have been replaced I am starting to wounder if it Might be the internal axel bearing going bad. Is there a way to test for this?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Before you go through that did you check your axle u joints?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM

so they looked good to me but is there anything I am looking for? is this coming off the axle or on the drive shaft coming in?

Last edited by Jlovekamp; 12-01-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

The axle. Often overlooked. They get loose. They aren't TOO hard to change with a ball joint press. Would be good to do anyhow. As for the possibility of the driveshaft take it out and see if it goes away. My bet is worn out axle u joints or that front d.s.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Slick761
The axle. Often overlooked. They get loose. They aren't TOO hard to change with a ball joint press. Would be good to do anyhow. As for the possibility of the driveshaft take it out and see if it goes away. My bet is worn out axle u joints or that front d.s.
Front d.s.? please forgive me Im new to this. I have always fix my cars, but they were cars, and it was the basics. Im a mechine mechanic, and have a good mechanical back ground but like it says under my profile name I'm a newbee.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jlovekamp
Front d.s.? please forgive me Im new to this. I have always fix my cars, but they were cars, and it was the basics. Im a mechine mechanic, and have a good mechanical back ground but like it says under my profile name I'm a newbee.
D.S. = driveshaft

ok do you have any sort of death wobble at all??!?!?! at all....?
if so check the ball joints. ---> lift the car on stands, try and twist the wheel Not like it normally moves, but on the opposite axis and listen for clicks and pops.

2. check your motor mounts. If they are shot as mine, they make noise because the bolt holding the motor down, is dancing around inside the ****ing metal triangle of the motor mount. It'll bring back some responsiveness too
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM

the steering is good, there is no wobble. it steers great at low speeds and at 80mph. and this engine is extremly responsive. the mounts look really good.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jlovekamp
the steering is good, there is no wobble. it steers great at low speeds and at 80mph. and this engine is extremly responsive. the mounts look really good.
We'll Have you tried the u joints? Go lay under the jeep and try and move the front driveshaft that connects the transmission to the front axle. If you turn it and it moves at all and makes noise it's u joints. You'll probably see the movements at the axle shaft to hub joint..

If its hub bearings going out, it will sometimes sound like a brake issue...

Or it could be a brake issue. Your rotors look ok?

Sorry about the late reply. Damn computers are f***** up
Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Easiest way to check the ds u joints without removing anything and getting a positive yes or no

Lift it up with a jack ( both sides)
Crank your wheel to full lock out, try to spin it by hand, listen to both sides, I have a mystery binding much like yours but I Belive it's my upper control arm bushing, anyways try that and to check the hubs put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock and push and pull, as far as the shafts I pulled mine out in accident as well while changing my hubs, I slid them right back in no problem, make sure the are fully seated, I just used the dust guard as a reference and jimmied them around till the set in.