Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

noise coming from front axle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default noise coming from front axle?

This is one of my first post so let me get all the information out. My 91 xj makes a noise when in four wheel drive which seems isolated in the front axle. I almost feels like a skip in traction like the vacum disconnect fails for a second. There is no noise from transfer case. I believe im losing vacum under a load causing the four wheel drive to go out until i ease of the trottle. Also it pull very hard to the right the shop allinged it rotated tires and said thats all the can do but it dosnt seem like it should pull that bad, the tires are new and its allinged but still pulls. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

what does the noise sound like when you are in 4wd and on hard surface you will get a skip or wiggle like feeling from the front end and is the pull when braking or driving straight
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

i am in the process of buying a 89 and they guy im getting it from told me that the collar on the 2 piece axle shaft is only making contact of a half in or so on the axles and hi mileage and or lots of 4 wheel drive usage will where down the splines. his was popping and 4 wheel drive and he thought it was a problem with the vaculm actuator and it turned out to be the differetal. i would try a vaculm gage on it and see if it fluxuates when the problem occars
Old 11-26-2010, 12:05 PM

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Thanks for the answers my xj seems to mostly do it going strait under a load it usually wont happen if im turning unless im crawling under a load. Also my xj was bought from original owners who only drove it in the city or behing rv, it has low mileage for the year at 92,000 so i dont believe that the axle would be bad.