Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default no sway bar

so i ordered a pair of "preformance" sway bar links. they snapped within two weeks, no off roading... so ive been driving everywhere w/o the links. i like the little extra flex that the missing links allow and there is no death wobble. it is a little sloppier on the road, obviously, but oh well, i can deal. BUT, is there a danger im unaware of here? also, ive heard that alot of people get rid of the rear sway entirely... is this true/safe/good for a DD? thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by VTJeep
so i ordered a pair of "preformance" sway bar links. they snapped within two weeks, no off roading... so ive been driving everywhere w/o the links. i like the little extra flex that the missing links allow and there is no death wobble. it is a little sloppier on the road, obviously, but oh well, i can deal. BUT, is there a danger im unaware of here? also, ive heard that alot of people get rid of the rear sway entirely... is this true/safe/good for a DD? thanks.
Cherokee's have a leaf sprung rear suspension, the rear sway bar is useless for such a setup. Do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash can, more flex for offroading too!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991

though I agree it is "manageable" but I ran down one of local mountain roads after wheeling and forgot to hook em up and thought no biggie....came around a corner and there was a boulder right in the middle...had to turn sharp and well....the next turn out I pulled over, pulled OUT my shorts and proceeded to hook up my disconnects...wont ever do that again....my point is your jeep will seem fine and manageable when you are in control and then you have to make a sudden manuver is when the trouble begins...get some new (better???) disconnects and life is good
Cameron
on edit if you are talking the front...if you are talking about the rear no need for them
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

sweet. i was hoping to get an answer like that! some disconnectable links would be nice, but kinda pricey for what they do. i would be ok with leaving them off as long as it isnt TOO foolish... noticed i allowed for some wiggle room with the TOO part... haha. but seriously, any input or experiences would be cool, thanks again.