Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Start - At a loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Start - At a loss

I posted about an initial issue I had with this 2000 Cherokee a month or so ago but could not find it. Problem was a dead battery, It was old so I replaced it. It started right up but after a couple drives, one morning I went out to start it and nothing. I did a few checks, cables/ends/grounds etc were all good and cables and ends are also new. I run a business and hadn't had time to do much more in depth checking until today. Battery seems a little low at 12.4 volts but should be enough to at least start. 12.4 volts at starter as well. I checked voltage to starter solenoid with key turned and it is 11.5 volts though I would think that should still turn the starter. I've tapped the starter etc but still, when you turn the key, not a sound, no click, nothing. I am leaning to the starter itself being bad but don't like just hanging parts just to see what works. Anything else I may be missing here or does it sound to any of you like the starter may be the culprit(?) Just to reiterate, I have check all grounds, new battery cables and ends, new battery etc. The only other odd thing this Jeep did before this happened was about 4-5 days prior to starting issue and replacing the battery I had driven a short trip to the store and when I came back out and started it, it sputtered badly and acted like it did not want to take any gas or air, ie press gas pedal made it worse initially until it finally smoothed out and I went on my way. I don't know what caused that but it hadn't done that before and I am still wondering if whatever caused that is also related to the starting problem.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked to see if the starter is getting the pos. trigger that engages the starter ? and for the bad running it could have been vapor locked the XJ will sometimes do that when its hot .
Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 PM

Yes, voltage is getting to the solenoid when they key is turned to start.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by ElianM
Yes, voltage is getting to the solenoid when they key is turned to start.
Replace starter.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM

Replaced starter today and it fired right up. What should a good voltage reading be at the battery while engine is idling? This is a new battery and it is reading 13.8 volts at idle.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

13.8 at idle is dead on perfect.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Okay BlueRidgeMark, thank you and thank the rest of you for your kind help. I'll do what I can to do the same in the future.