Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no start/alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default no start/alternator

2000 Cherokee 175K....stock tow vehicle.

So my question is this can a bad alternator create a turnover but no strat senario.......see below for full details.

I have a problem with my Cherokee. This is a tow vehicle so it sits in the winter, I start it every once in a while and let it warm up and the kids may use it occasionally.

Early spring I did my usual start up and did stuff in the yard....... I did notice some unusual noise on the front of the engine......by the time I grabbed a long screwdriver the noise stopped. I let her warm up good, shut her off the went to restart and I got nothing. turn over but no starting.

I thought maybe it was a timing chain so I put it out of my mind.....

Anyway, I just realized the alternator is frozen......the serpentine belt was broken. I'm not sure when the belt broke or when the alternator seized.

So my question is this can a bad alternator create a turnover but no strat senario.......see below for full details.

Thanks
Rick
Old 06-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Responded to the other thread you have and said yes it can however if your belt is broken and it still doesn't start then no . Because your alternator wouldn't be causing any resistance to crank with belt off to turn over . I have seen them cause a no start with seized alternator with belt intact however .