Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Reverse Lights I Don't think it's NSS switch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Reverse Lights I Don't think it's NSS switch.

Okay I just registered today and I've been coming to this forum for sometime now. I've been reading some of the posts on Jeeps when ever I've had a problem with mine. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport to which the reverse lights won't work. I've seen the posts about the rebuild of the NSS switch. When I took my NSS switch off it looked brand new but I went ahead and rebuilt it. Still no reverse lights. I tried adjusting when the car was in reverse, and no change. So I bought a new NSS switch, and still no success. Can anyone point me into what I need to look at next. Just so you know I did check the connections of the switch and they are fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Metal contacts get tarnished over time. My front left turn signal was not working when I first got my Jeep. Got a new bulb then I lightly sanded the contacts on the connector and now it works. It's worth a try.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You already checked the fuse and for continuity at the switch? With the ignition "ON", engine off, parking brake set and gear selector in reverse do you have 12V at the lamp socket? If not, the connector and wiring located under the trim panel behind the spare tire is a known problem and worth a look.