Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No lights

In my 88 Cherokee the lights stopped working this week. I have no headlights, parking lights, dome light, dash backlights or taillights. I checked all fuses in the panel even though I believe some of these are separate fuses anyway. I thought the common link between all of these functions was the headlight switch so I replaced that but still have no lights.

Digging a little deeper I realized that I also have no power to the heater blower motor. I just finally got someone to help me check and I also have no brake lights.

Other electrical functions seem to work, wipers, turn signals work (but not hazards this could be unrelated I haven't tested the hazards before this in a long long time), dash warning lights, cigarette lighter, radio all work.

Any ideas?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Year: Bone stock 91
Engine: 4.0

It sounds as if a power feed to the fuse panel is dead. Is there power at the fuses for the lights, hazards, etc.?

With the key on, touch each side of each fuse with a test light. Note any that are dead on both sides as well as any blown fuses that only light on one side.

Someone else mentioned a power feed near the fuse block that plugs into the firewall. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my Jeep right now, so I have nothing to go by.

I attached a schematic for a 92... you can see these things are on separate circuits, so the problem is upstream of the fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails No lights-92_cherokee_chassis_schematic.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Year: Bone stock 91
Engine: 4.0

In Googling this problem, it seems to be a common theme on the 88's. Here are some quotes from other threads in this forum that I found interesting:

do your hazards work? i had the same problem. it turns out there is a red wire by my battery terminal just hanging down and i put it to the positive side of the battery and connected it there and it made my brake lights and hazards work again
found it out, it was the huge cluster under the driver side dash, a huge block of wires that had a bad connection
The tail lights on my '93 cherokee stopped working last week, and I haven't been able to get them to work. All the other lights work, but for some reason it keeps blowing that particular fuse. Today, the wiring for the tail lights in the rear quarter panel started melting (and melted the do-hickey for the trailer light hook-up) instead of blowing the fuse, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do now. Any help
I see a lot pertaining to the wiring for the tail lights in the rear quarter panel. Inspect those carefully, especially where they exit the body through a grommet.

And one other thing I didn't think of... if the fuse is indeed blown, do you have a trailer light plug hanging loose under there or wrapped around a hitch? It may be damaged causing a short to ground.

This site has tons of wiring diagrams for Grand Wagoneers... most circuits are probably similar: http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Last edited by Harper; 09-11-2011 at 06:49 PM.