Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NO Highbeams - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default NO Highbeams - Need Help

98 Cherokee Sport - Both Hi-beams are inop - Low Beams OK
As far as I know everything is still factory. I suspect the problem might be the Hi/low switch but I'm not familiar with the wiring locations. Help will be greatly appreciated as it's up for sale. It also has an evap. sys. leak but I'll take it one at a time.
Richard
Old 09-12-2016, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

The multifunction switch is one unit with the signal/ high low lever and hazard switch. Need to remove the steering colum covers and then it's held in by three T15 screws. Two on the top and one on bottom. It will cause your high beams not to work if it's broken. I would test the wire at the headlight plug for voltage first.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 PM

Many thanks Waynerd. I'll grab my multimeter and let you know what I find.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM

After reading another post on this same subject I noticed that the blue hi-beam indicator light is working. Does this mean that the dimmer switch is OK? When I have more time, I will check for voltage at the headlight bulb connector. What's the quickest way to get to that sucker, remove the sealed beams?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 PM

Hey, anybody there? I need some help with this headlight problem!
Old 09-15-2016, 10:36 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Check the relays under the hood. There is one for the High Beams/Headlamps.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Have the high beams ever worked?
12V @ the headlamp connector both sides?
Bulbs good?
Check the front lighting connector by the air box?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. Bulbs are OK. Today I check the headlight conector but no power for high beams and yes they used to work. Car has been sitting un-used fot too long. I will check the relay for hight beams but which one is it. I don't have a manusl. I will also check the frt lighting connector. Thank you all again.
Richard in Vermont
Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by train.stamp
Thanks for the replies. Bulbs are OK. Today I check the headlight conector but no power for high beams and yes they used to work. Car has been sitting un-used fot too long. I will check the relay for hight beams but which one is it. I don't have a manusl. I will also check the frt lighting connector. Thank you all again.
Richard in Vermont
Black box under the hood. On the lid (either on outside or inside) will be a diagram showing you where what goes.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Turbo and Outlaw,
I'm getting no where fast, very frustrating. First off, my car does not have a headlight relay anywhere that I can find. I removed the fuse/relay cover (on the passenger side of the engine) but no headlight relay in there. There are other relays there along with many fuses which I had already checked. All OK.

Secondly, over by the air box is a bank of three large connectors with tons of wires coming out. I assume one or more of these provides power to the headlights. I was able to remove the covers but I was not able to pull the connectors apart to check for juice and or corrosion, etc. due to the locking tabs. How do these blasted SOB's come apart without breaking them?
Richard in Vermont
Old 09-17-2016, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by train.stamp
Secondly, over by the air box is a bank of three large connectors with tons of wires coming out. I assume one or more of these provides power to the headlights.
Are you trying to pull the connectors from the PCM?

If so, that's not it, remove the air filter and the airbox, then have a look.

Also
"I don't have a manusl."

you could,
http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/1...ce_manual.html
Old 09-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Yes, didn't realize that was the PCM, so I will remove the air filter box to look for the headlight connector. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

it's hard for us to diagnose your problem for you. start with the easiest things first... headlights. grab a new replacement bulb or two. they're cheap and useful as spares. physically replace one or both. i've had the same problem before, who would think both high beams would go out at the same time? replaced bulbs and had high beams again.
same thing with brake lights, both at same time. spent time looking at fuses then changed bulbs, and again, had brake lights again...

moral of story, replace bulbs first. don't just look at them and assume.

if that doesn't work, then it's time to start tracing. you can start with the headlight harness connector they've been telling you about. it's under the airbox. disconnect that and clean the terminals, fill with dielectric grease and snap it back together again. also check the bulb plugs for broken wires or contacts.

9 times out of 10, it's as easy as one of these.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:26 AM

Caged,
Thanks for your reply, full of good advice. Regarding the bulbs, I already checked one with my ohm meter and it is good. At the same time I checked the connector for the bulb and there isn't any power there for the high beams, only low beams. I tried to pull the air filter box but decided not to pull it because I would first have to remove the two large plastic boot clamps to get the cover off and was afraid of breaking them.

My thinking now is to remove the steering wheel covers to get at the hi/low beam switch unit to see if there is any power coming out of the hi beam side, which is originally what I suspected is the root of the problem. Does this make any sense?
Richard in Vermont
Old 09-19-2016, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

There should be a separate fuse for low beams and high beams, and as mentioned relays...I didn't see anything about fuses yet.

If the bulbs are good, the switch seems to be sending power as the indicator comes on, lows work so you know the grounds should be okay, and being its BOTH lights you know it's somewhere BEFORE they split to eachother.

Check the fuses, and a wiring diagram to see what the circuit entails.

Also stand by the relays and have someone flick the brights on...if you hear or feel the relay click you know you've got power there...you should be able to hear or feel it engage if you have a finger on it.

Quick Reply: NO Highbeams - Need Help