Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No headliner backboard on my 96 sport??

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default No headliner backboard on my 96 sport??

Headliner needs replaced. Have searched and read many posts here about replacing the fabric but everything I have read talks about removing the headliner and scraping the old stuff off of the "backboard". I took down my interior light and soundbar and felt around above it..

Feels like mine does not even have a backboard. Only a piece of 1/4'' to 1/2'' foam covered by the fabric. I can't feel a backboard anywhere. Guess I'll just take it down and see exactly what is up there. Maybe spray line the damn thing if no board is there to glue new felt to...
Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

The foam is your backboard.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:07 AM

You have no backboard. I called the dealership after facing the same dilemma, only to find out that none of the 1996 MY XJs have a backing on the headliner. This seems to be the only year that they knew of that had this issue, and they don't make replacements any longer. Mine basically flopped out of the cab by itself when I took the interior trim off. Boo.

I asked the guy what years might fit into mine, he said "none". SOL? I then asked him the dimensions of the 1996 headliner. They are the exact same as the 1995 and 1997, among others, but he could not tell me the difference, nor why they wouldn't fit. So this is on my list of stuff to find at they JY. I also want to explore the possibility of having a custom headliner made, but have no idea where to start with that, other than calling around, google, etc. That will probably be an expensive undertaking.

In the meantime, I cut up a board of Rmax house insulation and fit it to the roof between the overhead cross-members, taping all around with metal heater-duct tape. This seems to be working fine with killing the road noise, as well as lowering the temp in the cab in the late afternoon. My A/C blows cold and stays that way all the way to work, whereas it didn't before. Might want to try that if you just have to have something up there. I think the R value was 3.5 on the stuff that I bought, but it comes in thicker sizes.

Last edited by texmedic49; 08-01-2010 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling, left out some stuff
Old 08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

The board is made out loosely spun fiber glass. Any one from another XJ close to your year should fit. The only diff. is possible overhead console, or sound bar. Go to a JY.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2008 JKU (my XJ is long gone)
Engine: 3.8

I have a 97 and it is the same way...Then I found a 98 in the JY out here and it was also the same... Still trying to find one that isn't going to pull apart when I try to remove the old material.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by AWOL
I have a 97 and it is the same way...Then I found a 98 in the JY out here and it was also the same... Still trying to find one that isn't going to pull apart when I try to remove the old material.
If the headliner is already sagging, It will pull off easily. Just try to leave the plastic film on. (It is what the glue sticks to, other wise it would soak into the board.) The glue just kinda turns to dust when old. It's the messiest part of the job. It Rubs right off with a soft brush, or your hand.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by texmedic49
I asked the guy what years might fit into mine, he said "none". SOL? I then asked him the dimensions of the 1996 headliner. They are the exact same as the 1995 and 1997, among others, but he could not tell me the difference, nor why they wouldn't fit. So this is on my list of stuff to find at they JY. I also want to explore the possibility of having a custom headliner made, but have no idea where to start with that, other than calling around, google, etc. That will probably be an expensive undertaking.
Don't listen to him, just take one and throw it in. '84 to '96 should fit if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
The board is made out loosely spun fiber glass.
I found that out the hard way. I tore into an Explorer headliner to get the wires out for a OHC I wanted for my Ranger. After tearing into the "foam" to get at the wires and having it get all over my face and hands I started to get itchy, REALLY itchy. Make sure you wear gloves and safety glasses for any headliner work you do that has fiberglass, one of those paper dust masks wouldn't hut either.

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
If the headliner is already sagging, It will pull off easily. Just try to leave the plastic film on. (It is what the glue sticks to, other wise it would soak into the board.) The glue just kinda turns to dust when old. It's the messiest part of the job. It Rubs right off with a soft brush, or your hand.
Mine isn't attached anywhere anymore. There's a piece of 1"x1/4" molding over the front seats to keep it from hitting people head but it looks like it didn't work for the PO because there's also a giant burn mark where it looks like it burst into flames from a cigarette.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Well damn.. Has anyone ever tried to remove the actual material from the foam backing on this type of headliner and gluing new fabric or felt on? I would imagine it would be a great PITA.

And I am sure having one made at an upholstry shop would cost an arm and a leg.

Junkyard....here I come!!

Last edited by supernova1021; 08-01-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: left out..
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by supernova1021
Well damn.. Has anyone ever tried to remove the actual material from the foam backing on this type of headliner and gluing new fabric or felt on? I would imagine it would be a great PITA.

And I am sure having one made at an upholstry shop would cost an arm and a leg.

Junkyard....here I come!!

New headliner installed should be about $275 if they remove the trim and replace. It is not a big job. If you get a quote above that, keep looking for other shops.

Call Bill Leslie & Sons in Port Huron, MI for a sanity check. They are not cheap but do good work and fairly priced. You'll at least get a reliable benchmark price from them. 810-982-4203

I do not even know these people other than as a customer.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 AM

I did my 94 a couple of weeks ago. Just take out the headliner and use a soft brush (used a brush for cleaning work benches from Harbor freight) to get the old glue off. don't worry about getting it 100% clean. Then use some good headliner glue from the auto parts store and glue some fabric to it, don't use cotton as it will shrink. then reinstall.

Permatex headliner glue: $9.99 a can I used two but recommend 3
polyester fabric from Wal-Mart $12.99 ($4.40 a yard) need just under 3 yards, make sure it is 60 inches wide for easier install.
My grand total including tax was under $35 and took two hours start to finish.

P.S. The rear seat belt bolts are T50 torx.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Copytech
I did my 94 a couple of weeks ago. Just take out the headliner and use a soft brush (used a brush for cleaning work benches from Harbor freight) to get the old glue off. don't worry about getting it 100% clean. Then use some good headliner glue from the auto parts store and glue some fabric to it, don't use cotton as it will shrink. then reinstall.

Permatex headliner glue: $9.99 a can I used two but recommend 3
polyester fabric from Wal-Mart $12.99 ($4.40 a yard) need just under 3 yards, make sure it is 60 inches wide for easier install.
My grand total including tax was under $35 and took two hours start to finish.

P.S. The rear seat belt bolts are T50 torx.

But did you have an actual "board" that your headliner attached to? I don't. All my headliner is glued to is that soft fiberglass pad....no board. Is it even worth the trouble trying to remove my fabric from my fiberglass pad and then glue more fabric on? Just curious if it can even be done..
Old 08-01-2010, 02:19 PM

I have the same as you. It kind of looks like 1/4" insulation board when you get it out.
Go ahead and take it out, doesn't take very long, it's not as bad to work with as you think it is.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Koda6966
Don't listen to him, just take one and throw it in. '84 to '96 should fit if I'm not mistaken.
Please don't take this as adversarial:

Have you actually had your hands on a 1996 headliner? Mine is literally falling apart, limp as a wet noodle and unsalvageable. I think the OP wants the same thing that I do, a hard board to use as everyone else has, a base from which to builld. The 1996 MY, as far as I can tell, is the only year that has only the foam board with NO HARD BACKER BOARD (not shouting, just emphasizing).

All that being said, I have not had the time to go out and find a possible replacement in the JY, or anywhere else for that matter. I simply am repeatng what the Jeep parts guy said, and I have no reason to doubt them. He was even kind enough to cross-referance several other parts by MY. So right now that is all the information that I have. It seems like there are several others that have the exact same problem that I do. I only want to do this once, and information is power. I don't have the time to run all over Hell's half acre trying to track down what might work, could work or should work. I think most other folks would say the same thing.

Probably within the next 2 weeks, I will get out to the JY to try and find something that fits and has a hard backer board. If I am successful, you guys will hear about it. I figure I will probably have to modify it for the center console, which I have no problem doing, my ziz wheel works just fine
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM

TXmedic.. I took a peek at my headliner today (did not remove it, just looked under the rear soundbar) and was able to peel some of the fabric off the fiberglass insulation pad it is glued to quite easily.

When I have time I am going to remove the entire pad and try and peel the fabric off of it. If it works OK I will then use 3M adhesive to glue new felt to it and reinstall it, if it looks alright. If your pad is in OK shape, you might give it a try.

If it doesnt work like I am thinking, **** on it, I'll just herculine it and not have to worrry about it again!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM

I am doing my 94 right now. I had to patch the front of the headliner board where the overhead console (structurally weak spot) was with fiberglass patch, but it worked great. I live in Florida where it is hot, hot, hot on the roof of any car. I would highly recommend DAP weldwood contact cement. I used two quarts and I also am using a silverish gray vinyl with flannel backing because headliner material is 14.99 a yard here at Joann Fabrics and I think its ugly. Found mine on sale as remnant, it is 54 inches wide and plenty big enough. If you want a custom look you can use any material. Just take your time and let the adhesive cure before joining. I also sanded and painted my trim a dark gray, it was beige, with Rustoleum vinyl paint. Everything came out great and looks custom and pro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No headliner backboard on my 96 sport??