Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NO HEADLIGHTS but lotsa new parts?!?! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 six
Default NO HEADLIGHTS but lotsa new parts?!?! Need Help!

Gist: No headlights but all other lights work properly. No other lighting problems.

Problem started with a headlight Flicker going over a curb into a driveway a month ago. This repeated once or twice. Then after driving it home from work one nite I stopped at the store and they wouldn't come back on when I returned. On the way to the auto parts store with the brights going so I wouldn't get pulled over the lights came back on (I checked to see while driving). They worked fine for a few days then one day just the drivers side went out momentarily accompanied a few seconds later by the other. Then they just didnt come on at all one day when I tried to check it out again after a night of rest in the driveway. Haven't come on since.

I have replaced the off on switch, the steering column dimmer switch/turn signal switch, and the headlamps. I don't see any obvious shorts as I have jiggled wires all over.

I'm not getting any voltage at the passenger side headlamp connector.

I know this is somewhat common but no one ever finishes their thread if it isn't their on/off switch, their dimmer or their lamps. Now I'm not really sure what to check not really an electrician.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know next to nothing about electric issues so specificity helps.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 six
Default Just to clarify...

Just to clarify: There is no power at either headlamp connector. On the low beams. I didnt check on highbeams because the highbeams do work - they stay on and they flash. Turn signals work and all taillights.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Generally, I'd recommend testing for power at the lamps and working back. Be sure to verify you have a good ground at the lamps by touching the ground lead and touching the other probe of a digital multimeter or test light to the positive side of the battery. Once your sure you've got a ground all the way out to the lamps, you're mainly just checking for hot as you work your way back.

Be sure to pull the fuses for both headlights and check the actual contact surfaces inside the fuse panel. These are known to corrode and/or loosen over time. Sometimes a little sandpaper of jewelers file and a pinch with some needle-nose pliers to get the fuse panel tabs to make good contact can fix a lot of weird intermittent electrical gremlins.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Year: 1992 and 1998

I'm working through this issue too. My problems started when salt water from the road sprayed into a rust hole, and corroded the wiring in my right rear quarter panel. low beam and high beam lights worked fine, just one tail light was not working (right side). My wife drove the Jeep, and used the 4 way flashers which seems to have killed the low beam lights. If I pull the flash to pass lever, the low beams and high beams work together, but no low beams by them selves, only high beam.
I'll keep you updated when I get an answer/repair solution.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM

Year: 1992 and 1998

Just finished replacing the multi function switch on the column in my 98. Problem solved.