Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Dome Light No Passenger Window NO HOPE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Question No Dome Light No Passenger Window NO HOPE

For bout 6 months, my 2000 Cherokee Sport passenger window will not go down- from driver side it will- so far I've replaced the master switch and nothing- then I replaced the passenger regulator and motor no help- been to 2 garages that said "yep it's a short and sent me packing" said it would b too labor intensive to find- now I've read most if not all the post and u guys rock, but it's like I need a "Electrical Cherokee Book for Dummies". If somebody can give me a step by step with photos of what to do- I will sent that person a 6 pack of any Colorado Brew they want-- I know nothing about electrics via my Cherokee but I'm willing to learn-- just tell me what to do-- please help this Colorado girl out!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

What part of Colorado are you in? If you're close enough i could swing by and help you out sometime soon. Finding a short can be easy or hard, depends where it actually is. I would start by looking at the wires that go into the passenger door and make sure they are not worn out.

Last edited by 1976Mustang; 03-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM

I'm up in the mountains- outside of Vail (Avon)- do u ever come up this way? I live right at the base of Beaver Creek- the garages around here r pretty sad!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Sub'd

Ever since i bought my 00 both passenger windows didn't work. From any switch.. Just haven't had the time to play with it.

Your dome lights have wires that run to them up in the headliner. These wires control alot of stuff! One wire got pinched in my headliner and it took out my entire interior. Had to take the headliner down and repair it... Just something to check.

For the window I would start by taking the door panels off and check for broken wires/connectors.

Last edited by NewJerseyXJ609; 03-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Bah too far, I'm way to the northeast of you in the plains and i never head south.

just start digging around checking the wires you can get to.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked the wires that run from the door into the door jamb. You have to remove the rubber boot that runs between. Most of the time the wires will crack and break from the door being open and closed after all the years.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Yep I took the rubber boot off and inspected the wires- did this when I installed the regulator/motor
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Year: 1997

From what i can tell, your dome light and your electric windows don't have any connection to each other, most likely a separate problem. There isnt a lot of complexity with the window systems, power goes to the main drivers door switch and is fed to the other switches from there. I dont see how the drivers switch could work the Passenger window, but the passenger switch wont without the problem being in that switch.

Power to the window motor passes through the Drivers switch to the passenger switch, the passenger switch can interrupt that power when pressed, but otherwise passes through to the passenger window motor.

Wait am I reading your comments properly, have you not replaced the Passenger window switch?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

I have the same problem with my passenger window. Except neither the driver side or the passenger side switch will work. I can hear a click in the door but nothing happens.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee99
I have the same problem with my passenger window. Except neither the driver side or the passenger side switch will work. I can hear a click in the door but nothing happens.
Hate to oversimplify, but that sounds like a window motor?

-bob
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by blazinbob

-bob
I was hoping it might be that simple thanks for the advice!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by blazinbob

-bob
I put in a drivers side master switch and a passenger side reg/ motor- I notice sometimes the green light is lit up on passenger switch sometimes its not-
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 AM

Unless you are willing to dig into this with a Voltmeter which I would be happy to help guide you in measuring voltage, this still seems like a Passenger Window switch.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Not sure if I am reading your window schematic right. It appears that the passenger switch gets its power from the lock out switch. With the lock out switch on, to allow passenger control, the switch should work and I believe the green light turns on. The master switch controls the window thru a different power source.

If this is correct your problem may be a fault in the yellow wire that goes from the lock out switch to the passenger switch. Testing for voltage at the passenger switch yellow wire connection may reveal something. With lock out switch on, allowing passenger control, you should have voltage. With lock out switch off, no voltage.

Again this depends if I am reading it right. Maybe someone with more electrical knowledge will chime in. If it were my Jeep I would test for voltage.

The green light on and off is saying something. If the green light is on try the passenger window and see if it works. Not familiar with what this light indicates. I am thinking with the light on it says the passenge can control the window.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Great point ET, I didnt even think about that. The light being lit would be a good indicator of power at the passenger switch. I would guess these wires come in through the boot in the door, the yellow wire could be frayed if it's intermittent and would definitely disable the passenger switch while allowing the driver switch to work.

Quick Reply: No Dome Light No Passenger Window NO HOPE