Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no dash light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no dash light

Well on my offroading trip last weekend all my dash lights and heater pannel lights went out. 89' JEEP pioneer
Old 12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Have you checked and changed the fuse yet? When I first got my current jeep, the dash lights were also dead. I found that the previous owner had wired the dimmer wire to the radio ground when he installed an aftermarket unit. If you have an aftermarket radio, pull it to see if anything has come loose.

Give this a read. Renixes are a little more prone to grounding issues than the later models.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...x-tips-153657/

Excerpt from Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Improving the Instrument Panel Ground
The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release ****. The screw will have either a ¼" or 5/16" head on it.
This ground point is responsible for handling the ground circuit for the following items: Dome lamps, Seatbelt and key warning, trans comfort switch, wiper switch, headlamp switch and delay module, fog lamp switch, cargo lamp switch, all instrument panel grounds and illumination, power windows and door locks, cruise control dump valve, and a few more things.
The problem is that where the ground point is located does not have a good contact with the chassis where the ground should be. The solution is simple.
Make up a jumper wire with #10 gauge wire about 10" long. On one end, crimp on a ¼" round wire terminal. On the other end, crimp on a 3/8" round wire terminal.
Remove the screw from the existing ground wire and attach the small terminal of your jumper so that the original wire and your new jumper share the same attaching point, one over the other.
Look above the driver’s side plastic kick panel just forward of the top of the hood release ****. You will see an 8mm stud there. Attach the large terminal end there with a washer and nut over it tightened securely.
**Special note for Comanche owners: Make your jumper wire 12" long and attach it on the driver’s side kick panel close to the fusebox on the 8mm stud.**

Revised 11-29-2011

Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will check fuses tonight, thought I should add that the whole JEEP has had a wire harness swap last year so it is possible for a ground to short