Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No crank

Hey guys! New to this forum so bear with me as to I'm not certain where to post. In having a problem with my xj. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and it has been running great! That is until Christmas eve. Shut it off to go in the gas station, came out and it did nothing when I turned the key. The dash lights came on, radio, blower all came on and turned off when I turned my key to the start position. Almost like it does always but didn't crank. No clunks or anything. The relay clicks but that's it. I replaced the NSS and the starter. Cleaned every power wire and ground wire. New ignition actuator switch. The battery is newer. All reads good on a volt meter, such as the battery, starter, and relay. I'm going bald scratching my head as to what it can be. I have to jump the solenoid every time to start it now until I can figure out the issue. Headlights work and dome lights do not dim when I turn the key. Reverse lights work also. I am about certain it is wiring possibly for the ignition. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What year is this thing?
"The relay clicks but that's it."
What relay?
Old 12-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
What year is this thing?
"The relay clicks but that's it."
What relay?
it is a 1999 cherokee with the 4.0. The starter relay clicks so that tells me the ignition is good
Old 12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rtb418
Hey guys! New to this forum so bear with me as to I'm not certain where to post. In having a problem with my xj. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and it has been running great! That is until Christmas eve. Shut it off to go in the gas station, came out and it did nothing when I turned the key. The dash lights came on, radio, blower all came on and turned off when I turned my key to the start position. Almost like it does always but didn't crank. No clunks or anything. The relay clicks but that's it. I replaced the NSS and the starter. Cleaned every power wire and ground wire. New ignition actuator switch. The battery is newer. All reads good on a volt meter, such as the battery, starter, and relay. I'm going bald scratching my head as to what it can be. I have to jump the solenoid every time to start it now until I can figure out the issue. Headlights work and dome lights do not dim when I turn the key. Reverse lights work also. I am about certain it is wiring possibly for the ignition. Any help is greatly appreciated!
i had same thing after new starter sometime a click. really cleaned batt term and got real tight. otherwise, bad starter.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
i had same thing after new starter sometime a click. really cleaned batt term and got real tight. otherwise, bad starter.
I've tried everything I can think of. New battery, starter, NSS, cleaned terminals, checked every fuse and relay in the whole jeep haha. It's aggravating to think that I had it shut off for 3 minutes then to come back out and have it not start, or even try to. May just have to end up taking it to the mechanic and have him fix it. However I would rather not pay shop labor charges if I do not have to
Old 12-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Banned

I've tried everything I can think of. New battery, starter, NSS, cleaned terminals, checked every fuse and relay in the whole jeep haha. It's aggravating to think that I had it shut off for 3 minutes then to come back out and have it not start, or even try to. May just have to end up taking it to the mechanic and have him fix it. However I would rather not pay shop labor charges if I do not have to
an hour later,,,click!. i jumped it with a screwdriver, it cranked right up and started 10 times as i ran around stores,still ok? new starter??

solenoid didnt kick in till i jumped it....
Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 PM

an hour later,,,click!. i jumped it with a screwdriver, it cranked right up and started 10 times as i ran around stores,still ok? new starter??

solenoid didnt kick in till i jumped it....
I have a new starter, new alternator, new battery, new ignition actuator switch. I can't seem to find out what's causing the no crank. Jump my solenoid with a screw driver and it runs flawlessly.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 PM
Banned

I have a new starter, new alternator, new battery, new ignition actuator switch. I can't seem to find out what's causing the no crank. Jump my solenoid with a screw driver and it runs flawlessly.
tomorrow ill check batt volts b4 starting with key,could be lo volts overnite. still it cranked right up with screwdriver.

wonder if there is volt drop in ignition wire to solenoid?
jumping,you get direct batt volts to solenoid?

im not in the mood to return my new starter for another...
Old 12-28-2016, 06:52 AM

tomorrow ill check batt volts b4 starting with key,could be lo volts overnite. still it cranked right up with screwdriver.

wonder if there is volt drop in ignition wire to solenoid?
jumping,you get direct batt volts to solenoid?

im not in the mood to return my new starter for another...
that's my thoughts, starter is easy to replace though. Takes 5 minutes, just more of a pain to keep changing. Funny thing, my jeep started up just fine this morning.. Has to be a loose wire somewhere
Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

that's my thoughts, starter is easy to replace though. Takes 5 minutes, just more of a pain to keep changing. Funny thing, my jeep started up just fine this morning.. Has to be a loose wire somewhere
morning, volts 12.6, headlites on, 11.8 crank right now!, volts running,14.4. so today its good, can i trust it tomorrow??
sticky new started, break in?
Old 12-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Banned

morning, volts 12.6, headlites on, 11.8 crank right now!, volts running,14.4. so today its good, can i trust it tomorrow??
sticky new started, break in?
Old 12-28-2016, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Jump my solenoid with a screw driver and it runs flawlessly.
Have you checked:
1) the bulkhead connector for corrosion
2) the resistance of the positive and negative battery cables
Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Have you checked:
1) the bulkhead connector for corrosion
2) the resistance of the positive and negative battery cables
well great news! Today I spent 4 hours tracing wires and checking volts. Had power to everything except for the wire running into the starter solenoid. Started pulling the wire out of the plastic tubing and found it spliced into 2 other wires that ran along the back of the firewall. Went through the firewall into the drivers side. Found a toggle switch electrical taped kind of by the obd port. Flipped it and the jeep fired right up! A previous owner must have installed it as part of an anti theft. Must have bumped it with my leg getting out! Such a huge relief!!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Banned

ZOWIEEEEE!! and ive been thinking of putting a kill sw in all my rides!!