Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Bus 1694 its not the CPS. Need to Jump ASD relay to start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No Bus 1694 its not the CPS. Need to Jump ASD relay to start.

I have an no bus message with a p1694 code constant no start. I replaced the CPS, it ran for about 2 miles then started misfiring. Replaced it with a higher grade one and it ran for about a day. No it wont run unless I jump the ASD relay, and then when it get really hot outside or I drive around for awhile it wont start untill it cools down.

I have tested all the wiring between modules and don't have any open or shorts that I can find. I replaced the cluster, TCM and PCM with junkyard parts from the same year jeep and the problem persists. I currently have the old parts in it.

I tested the voltages at the DLC and got 2.4vdc on both readings. I get 60ohms of resistance at the connector. I am completely stumped at this point. I have followed all diagnostic procedures for the trouble code as well as what I have read on all other threads.

Can anyone tell me what inputs are needed for the PCM to activate the asd relay? And is it possible that I am just really unlucky and got a crappy CPS again that died within 20 miles?

Almost forgot. Its a 2000 cherokee classic 4wd 4.0ltr with 143k on it.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by GunBoss45
I have an no bus message with a p1694 code constant no start. I replaced the CPS, it ran for about 2 miles then started misfiring. Replaced it with a higher grade one and it ran for about a day. No it wont run unless I jump the ASD relay, and then when it get really hot outside or I drive around for awhile it wont start untill it cools down.

I have tested all the wiring between modules and don't have any open or shorts that I can find. I replaced the cluster, TCM and PCM with junkyard parts from the same year jeep and the problem persists. I currently have the old parts in it.

I tested the voltages at the DLC and got 2.4vdc on both readings. I get 60ohms of resistance at the connector. I am completely stumped at this point. I have followed all diagnostic procedures for the trouble code as well as what I have read on all other threads.

Can anyone tell me what inputs are needed for the PCM to activate the asd relay? And is it possible that I am just really unlucky and got a crappy CPS again that died within 20 miles?

Almost forgot. Its a 2000 cherokee classic 4wd 4.0ltr with 143k on it.

An OEM CPS from the dealer will rule out any CPS problems (with the CPS that is). Wiring may be an issue. Inspect all wiring harness looms for chafing/penetration to the wiring within. There have been cases where the harness has been chafed where it exits the fuel injector harness manifold at the end of the fuel rail and at the laft rear head bolt stud. Look this area over closely.

The ASD relay, like most relays, have their control coil ground circuits controlled by the PCM, and power to the control coils powered when the ignition switch is turned to RUN. There could be an open/high resistance in the ASD relay control coil ground wire from the PCM to the ASD relay in the PDC. Again, do a visual inspection of all the harnesses in the engine bay to see if there are any defects in the wiring.

Go from there.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Ohh! I know this one!
Step one- molar Cps.
Step two- check the ground wire running under the pdc for the add relay. It likes to loosen itself and cause issues unless tjumped