Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Blower Motor and Temp not registering

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:12 AM
mwj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default No Blower Motor and Temp not registering

Good Morning all. I have 1993 XJ Sport 4.0l. I recently did a clutch job, rear main, oil pan, 3 inch lift, and changed all the fluids. After all was said and done I took it for a drive and noticed the temp gauge wasn't registering. The fans are working and the car didn't get too hot. I also noticed that the blower motor is suddenly inop. The rest of the gauges work just fine. I am guessing a wire is the culprit. I would have searched, but at midnight on a Sunday, I was too tired. Anyway, I tried to use the search feature and didn't see anything on the forums, I am a noob here so be kind. Anyone out there have an idea of where to start looking? I am assuming with all the pulling and shifting on the motor and trans, something got pulled out, I just don't know where to look. Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

93 has a temp sender on the drivers side towards the rear of the head.
The blower motor resistor might have failed.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by MonacaYankee
93 has a temp sender on the drivers side towards the rear of the head.
The blower motor resistor might have failed.
I could see the temp sensor wires getting pulled when turning the engine downward. If I remember correctly there wasn't much slack in the wires on that. That would be the first thing I'd check. (And I'll have to make a note to disconnect mine when I do my clutch in the next few weeks).

Usually if the blower motor resistor fails you'll still get the fan working on High. That would be an easy check to make if you haven't tried to run it on high yet.
However, I can't see how anything related to doing the clutch job would affect the blower motor operation in a causal way. Maybe someone smarter than I will disagree, but that seems to me to be possibly a coincidental problem.

After checking the easy stuff like fuses and doing the test on high, I'd start general troubleshooting on the blower motor.