Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newbie Help

Old 11-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newbie Help

Hi I'm new here I'm from Pittsburgh and it's starting to get cold. I just bought a 1996 cherokee and the is a few problems with it. I'm new to the jeep world and am looking for some help. So to start I have no heat. Nothing at all happens when you mess with the climate control. I know I need to check fuses but which in particular control the climate. Second I have no interior lights no dash lights no shifter lights nothing. The instruments work but I can't see anything when it's dark again I know i need to start with fuses but which. I n
Don't have a owners manual to know and I don't want to skip over one that should be there thinking it shouldn't thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2016, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by That_ram_kid
Hi I'm new here I'm from Pittsburgh and it's starting to get cold. I just bought a 1996 cherokee and the is a few problems with it. I'm new to the jeep world and am looking for some help. So to start I have no heat. Nothing at all happens when you mess with the climate control. I know I need to check fuses but which in particular control the climate. Second I have no interior lights no dash lights no shifter lights nothing. The instruments work but I can't see anything when it's dark again I know i need to start with fuses but which. I n
Don't have a owners manual to know and I don't want to skip over one that should be there thinking it shouldn't thanks in advance
Is your blower turning on? If the blower is running and your not getting any heat, it is probably your heater core. It may be clogged up with gunk/rust from the POs lack of maintenance. You may need to back flush the core and probably do general cooling system maintenance before it gets too cold. I live in south central PA and I've had frost the past couple of mornings. Old man winter is right around the bend. As far as fuse diagrams and wiring schemetics for the cluster and what not, factory service manuals can be had for 8 bucks at pacific coast manuals. Pick one up.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:26 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
Is your blower turning on? If the blower is running and your not getting any heat, it is probably your heater core. It may be clogged up with gunk/rust from the POs lack of maintenance. You may need to back flush the core and probably do general cooling system maintenance before it gets too cold. I live in south central PA and I've had frost the past couple of mornings. Old man winter is right around the bend. As far as fuse diagrams and wiring schemetics for the cluster and what not, factory service manuals can be had for 8 bucks at pacific coast manuals. Pick one up.
dont panic, its probably NOT the heater core. you need to fix electrical issuse first. then check the 2 heater hoses. if there both hot , the water is getting through the core but no fan?, or the control doors are not right.

spend some time searching/reading. ive been here 2 months and i read every new post on 2 forums daily.
others will be here with more info shortly.

there are recent posts on this topic,,,READ!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

Even if it is the heater core, usually not that big of an issue. Flushing it is easy and so far ive never had one on an xj leak after flushing.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:02 PM

So I got around to checking it out more. Turns out that I have no power to fuse number 19. Which would explain no dash lights. But the idiot that owned it before me out a switch on the dash to control the climate control does anyone know which wires should be fed power for the climate control and which should be ground.?