Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

newbe here /couple of ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
jag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6cyl
Default newbe here /couple of ?

Hi

I just got rid of my 2007 passat (eistien disater) for a 96xj classic. Just unloading some bills. It was arge kept (paint is perfect) 124,000 on the od and fully loaded (towing package). I also own a 87 wrangler, this is my my beach destroyer. 2in lift with 2 seats and a tarp for a top.

The xj is going be my daily driver. I'm not looking to do anything major to it. I do have a few ? as of now

Gas mileage-I now it's never gonna be great.
I feel like there is a little troll in my gas tank getting drunk on premium petroleum everime I fill up. I'm about to do a seafoam treatment and a tune up. I have been reading on here about swapping the fuel injectors for ford ones. Would this actually help out concerning the gas mileage? Any other suggestions would apreciated

some other stuff
I'm going to put new shocks and coils in. I'm keeping the stock height. Any suggestions concering improved handling? (would like to keep a comfortable ride). I'm also gonna throw a new exhaust on it too. It has a new cat. My buddy has a new borla cat back in his garage, he said he would part with it for 250. Worth it? I have used borlas on my vw's before and was happy.

I do have a strange thumping noise, but I hoping to figure that out when I do the the suspension and breaks. Of corse the ac has a leak. It has no freon left in it. I'll figure this out sooner or later

I did the unthinkable and put a new sound system in before i addresed these issues. Felt like I was 17 again. I put a pioneer bluetooth unit with usb connection in it. I need my ipud tunes so me and john boham can rock out. I put some boston acustic in the front and in the back sound bar and hooked them up to small amp. (nothing crazy) I had to remove that silly carpet from the bottom of the door panel also so I could fit new speakers properly. I restiched it with neoprene. It rained the last couple of weeks and I dont' have a garage anymore so I had to find something to do.

Any suggestion would be appreciated
Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

first off welcome to cf from mass. second, as far as the no garage thing goes im in the same situation. i went to christmas tree shops and picked up one of those canope garage type things for like $50. so whenever its raining and i want to wrench on the heep i just throw it up over the bulkhead (where i have my tools) and can get up and down for tools from there and it keeps me nice and dry. good luck with everything else
Old 06-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

What's your gas mileage currently? Stock it's not bad - my 98 with 5spd gets 18.5mpg.

The only sure-fire way to get better gas mileage is to keep your foot off the gas
Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

xray

I miss my garage, it was a 2 car with crazy working room. I even had a pully in the rafter so I could pull my wrangler in backwards and just attach it to some eye hole bolts i put into the hard top and pull away.

jason- I just filled it up so I'm gonna do a mileage check by the end of the week. I don't do any highway driving on my daily drive, so will see what it gets around town. I'm gonna say its around 12-13 mpg though just from what I noticed so far
Old 06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

dude my 99 clasic gets about 12 in town but thats with a 4.5 inch lift and 33's and its not regeared you should be gettin better than that